Super Quick Costa Rica Trip- suggestions

Old Jun 13th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Quick Costa Rica Trip- suggestions

We are going to hop a flight that gets in to San Jose on Monday June 18 at 7:45p then leave on Saturday June 23 at 6am. (Airline employee family!) We've never been to Costa Rica- will be my husband, me and my 3 boys 8, 11, 13. Was thinking a resort with activities nearby would be most efficient use of our time. Zip lining, jungle animals, horseback riding and thermal baths would all be high on our priority list. Any suggestions of where to stay and how to get there? I'd rather not worry about a car- its such a short trip that I am fine paying for transport to resort. Looking on line there are so many resorts to choose from and so many areas to base out of. Sure wish we had more time for visiting but this is all the time off I have.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd recommend going to the Arenal area. It has everything you're looking for. Resorts with activities aren't very common in Costa Rica though. You can zipline at Sky Trek, visit Tabacon for natural hot springs, lots of horseback riding around. For wildlife, you can visit the Bogarin Trail close to town; we saw five sloths, red-eyed and poison dart frogs, cool birds, and an owl there. It's owned by a local family. You could look at staying at the Arenal Observatory Lodge - it's set away from town out near the lake, tons of trails and wildlife on site, and a free guided hike each morning. If you want a more resort type hotel, check the Springs Resort and Spa if it's in your budget. Also like Nayara. Silencio del Campo and Los Lagos are more budget friendly and popular with young families. Your hotel can provide you with a private driver that will pick you up at the airport and take you back at the end of your trip. For most tours, they'll pick you up and drop you back off at your hotel. Some hotels have shuttles, or you can grab taxis but they'll add up. Also like the Mistico Hanging Bridges hike, the waterfall hike, the Cano Negro tour with Desafio to see wildlife, and the Penas Blancas safari float. You'll need to spend the last night close to the airport due to your early flight time.
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Agree. With such a short stay, Arenal would offer the most of what you are looking for. Sky Trek zip lines were so fun ..... even in the rain.