sport fishing Osa/BDC

Oct 6th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

sport fishing Osa/BDC

We will be staying at BDC for 5 days in Feb. My Husband and brother would both love to do some deep sea fishing. We did try this last year in the Mal Pais area, but as we arrived the boat was MUCH smaller and we were out for over 8 hours with no fish, just seemed the boat was to small. Are Osa area, has anyone been out with them? Thank you all for your help.
Oct 6th, 2008, 06:25 AM

Fishing success probably has less to do with the boat size, and more to do with the captain and the fishing conditions. We went out on a panga with a captain named Miguel, and we caught two dorado and one sailfish - a pretty good day. A larger boat offers more comfort, and a better ability for the captain to see since they have an upper deck. But, a smaller boat is less expensive and can get out in the waters faster. When you are at Bosque, they can set you up with what you prefer.

I think fishing is a lot like gambling - you don't always hit the jackpot! :-<
Oct 6th, 2008, 02:08 PM

Some folks that were staying at BdC when we were there went out fishing and came back with dinner - I think it was mahi-mahi, but don't remember the details. They loved it. I remember it was pretty pricey though, but they had a good time.
Oct 7th, 2008, 07:03 AM

We were at BdC this past February and did a half-day fishing trip booked through BdC with the same captain as janenicole. We're a family of 3 -- my husband, me and our then 9 year-old.

I think we opted for the least expensive trip -- half day "inshore" (within the Gulfo Dulce so not truly "deep sea".) Smaller boat (about 21-24 ft) with captain and crew. We brought our own lunches the BdC packed for us. The price was $495 plus $60 for the round-trip taxi plus tip.

If you want to do a full blown deep sea trip on a serious fishing boat (with a tower, bathroom, etc.) prices were about double to start. Also, it didn't sound like this would be a "local" boat and it would be necessary to pre-arrange the trip.

I ended up catching a decent sized yellow-fin right away and it was exciting but, unfortunately, that was it for the rest of the day! We weren't disappointed per se since we were having such a good time seeing all the sea turtles and schools of tarpons and other fish. We had two huge sailfish swim right next to the boat and I was thrilled -- I'd never seen a live one before! We had schools of dolphin swim with the boat as well.

The captain, though, was unhappy about not catching anything and we ended up going way out to sea and well over the half-day. I think he would have spend the entire day out there until we caught more but the boat just wasn't comfortable to be on after about 6 hours. There's only one small bench and very little shade.

I don't think the size of the boat affects the fishing as much as your comfort. If the amount of fish we simply saw in the gulf is any indication, there's no shortage of fish in the Osa but, well, some days they're biting and some days they're not... but that's fishing!
Oct 9th, 2008, 11:43 AM

Definitely, the size of the boat does not matter. We spent 3 days fishing out of Puerto Jimenez last year through Crocodile Bay - which is THE fishing lodge for that area. First day, smaller (24 foot) boat - 1 roosterfish, a couple of trigger fish. Second day, big 38 foot boat, 20 miles out and back - NADA. Third day, back on the 24 footer - JACKPOT!! Boated 14 roosters, hooked several more, a yellowfin tuna, hooked and lost a cubera snapper. So, size does not always matter - it's actually more due to conditions and luck. Not much rain = not much runoff = less red tide = better fishing. February is some of the prime fishing time for that area, especially for sails, marlin, and tuna.