Notices

son travelling to costa rica

Old Aug 1st, 2007, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
son travelling to costa rica

hi all: my daugther is travelling to CR - leaving august 4 from toronto to Liberia and returning August 13th from San Jose. The only thing booked for sure is surfing in Tamarindo at Witches Rock for three days (until August 7th afternoon). Her plan is to stay in a hostel in tamarindo. She would like to go to Monte Verde, Mount Arenal and would like to go to Manual Antonio if possible. We really need some help on the following questions!
1) Recommendations re hostel to stay in Tamarindo?
2) Beside surfing, what are the things to see around Tamarindo that are close by? She has 2.5 days in Tamarindo.
3)What is the best get to Tamarindo to either Volcano Arenal or Monteverde? (She would like to see both if possible.) Fly from Tamarindo to La fortuna? OR Take a tour from Tamarindo(please recommend)to Volcano Arenal/monteverde OR take a bus (problem with interbus is that it seems to only travel at 2 pm) OR get a private driver. This seems to be the hardest thing to figure out so far!
3) Is it too much to want to do Arenal and monte verde and then Manuel antonio? thanks
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:37 AM

You may want to post on the thorntree.com , they get a lot of posts on hostels and such. I woudl though trim back the schedule, with only 9 days, I personally wouldn't attempt that many stops. I'd cut out either Manuel Antonio or Monteverde.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:39 AM

Interbus is a good way to travel. I just used them several times on my trip with no problem. I went to Arenal from San Jose and then Arenal to Flamingo. My niece then went from Flamingo to Manuel Antonio.

I would skip one of those places. If she doesn't want really long days of driving, just going to Monteverde and Arenal would be best. It is still going to be about a 3 1/2-4 hr drive from Tamarindo to Monteverde. Going down the mountain to arenal by van/boat/van is relatively inexpensive and a pretty way to go.

Pension Santa Elena is a good place in Santa Elena/Monteverde. She will meet up with lots of other backpackers. It is right in town so she will have easy access to everything. She will need transportation to the reserves. There are some public buses and taxis.

Arenal/La Fortuna has several places that would be reasonable for her. This is a fun place to visit. Hostelworld.com has some good listings.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:54 AM

EWAJ...Thank you for your private message...I answered all your questions...if you need any more advice please do not hesitate to send me a mail...like a I toll you... I am not a Costa Rica expert...I am just a costarican that adore my country!!

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi tully: sorry, can you give me the website again for hostels? when i click on the one you posted, it takes me to a flower and garden site????
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:35 PM

Hi Ewaj,
I think Tully means http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com
Good luck!
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:43 PM

thanks Kelas, posted off the top of my head. ewaj - didn't mean to send you to a gardening site Happy planning!