Search

Snorkeling

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Patricia

Snorkeling

Is the snorkeling good at Ambergris Cay? Is the water shallow?

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Lan Sluder

Some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean is around Ambergris Caye. However, you'll generally have to take a boat out to the reef (a few minutes' ride) to enjoy it.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Lynette

Like swimming in an aquarium but 10 minute boat ride to reef. Just beautiful. Shallow in some areas but varies a lot in different areas.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Jeff

I'd like to expand on this question. We're taking our honeymoon in May, at Captain Morgan's. Could someone please comment on the differences, pro's, cons, whatever, between these different snorkeling destinations. I love snorkeling, and am interested in viewing a variety of marine life.<BR><BR>Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley (Does Shark Ray Alley actually have coral, or is it just a sandy spot where nurse sharks and stingrays congregate?)<BR><BR>Coral Gardnes, Cay Caulker<BR><BR>Mexico Rocks<BR><BR>Night Snorkel (I'm interested in whether or not this is worth while, is there a lot of bioluminescent marine life to see while snorkeling?)<BR><BR>Rum Punch (this might just be a different type of trip -- possibly including lunch and drinks)<BR><BR>W. Estell<BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Lan Sluder

Shark Ray Alley is mostly sharks and rays. It's actually now a part of the Hol Chan marine reserve. Boats typically go out and make two stops (close together) -- one at Shark Ray Alley and one at the reef where you can see a lot of coral and fish. There can be a fairly strong current through the reef at Hol Chan. Kids and weak swimmers may want to wear a vest.<BR><BR>Mexico Rocks is north of Hol Chan. Fewer fish but nice coral. It's shallower and usually less current, so a good place for novice snorkelers or those who don't swim well.<BR><BR>I don't think I've been to Coral Gardens.<BR><BR>You do see different creatures at night than in the day and a night snorkel is well worth doing.<BR><BR>Rum Punch, like El Gato, Winnie Estelle and others, is a boat that does snorkel day trips. Stops may include Hol Chan but boats may also go to Caulker or to a small island or North Ambergris for a beach barbecue.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder<BR>San Pedro Cool, the Guidebook to Ambergris Caye

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Jeff

Thanks, Lan. I'll use your recommendations. Especially the night snorkeling, it sounded neat to me, but I was afraid it wouldn't be worth it. Are you typically given a flash light, or is done by moonlight?