Search

Small children- gear needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small children- gear needed

We will be traveling to Manuel Antonio in a few weeks with a 3 and a 1 year old. We are flying into San Jose and we do not want to fly with a highchair, bedrail or a baby gate. Each of these things are needed at the house we have rented. Does anyone know of a "mega-store" (like Walmart but obviously not) that is near the airport? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 05:33 PM

Your best bet is the "similar to Wal-Mart" (and Wal-Mart owned) Hipermas up the road from the airport at the edge of Heredia (about 15-20 min). Still, no way I'd guarantee they'll have those things. Highchairs, probably, but you might be able to manage without a highchair. I'm thinking your biggest need will be the baby gate. You can use pillows for the bedrail, maybe?

It might be worth it to take a babygate with you. If you've rented a place with stairs, that seems pretty necessary. I'd worry about finding one easily. Wish I could be of more help. . .
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! That's what I was thinking about the babygate as well. I think I am going to use dining room chair backs and pillows for the bed rail and try to make it w/o a highchair. I hate the thought of flying with a babygate but the alternative is worse!
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 05:06 PM

You'll make it just fine. Have a great time!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:23 AM

We have packed a bath seat the breaks down for our little ones and used it as a feeding chair. It worked well. Chairs are great for bed rails. As for a baby gate...that's hard. We have just done our best to block the area we want the little one out of. Good luck!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:27 AM

Maybe a Pali would have some of that stuff as well, I would think. I know the one in Quepos had a huge variety of things.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Not far from the airport in Alajuela is a department store called Alyss. They have all kinds of wonderful things for the home. I would think you might find a baby gate there. Good luck.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. I gave in and purchased a travel baby gate that, although quite heavy, it is pretty small. I think we will wing in for the bed rail and booster seat. What's a little mess when your on vacation, right?
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 11:06 AM

You probably are fine without it, but you can get inflatable booster seats. We have one from First Years (on the go baby seat I think). It doesn't have a tray, so you have to pull up to a table. It is pretty light weight and we can usually get it in a suitcase. We took it to Spain where we stayed in apartments, and it worked well. It also has been useful in restaurants.