Search

Single travel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2018, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single travel

Im looking for somewhere all inclusive to go. I was thinking either Cancún, Playa del Carmen or the DR... I’m single but I don’t want that to keep me from traveling. Thoughts?
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 07:08 PM

You've tagged Belize but I'd scratch that off the list if all inclusive is a priority. Belize is just not that sort of place; mainly the places that include meals are really secluded in the jungle or an island to you don't have other food options. That said, it's an awesome place to visit for those of us who don't want or need all inclusive lodging.
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 07:10 PM
kja

Many of us travel solo, and love it! Here are some trip reports:
Goin' solo...nothing like it! (A trip report collection)

P.S. I didn't write a trip report on it, but I (a woman) spent 3 solo weeks in the Yucatan Peninsula and Chiapas some years back -- loved it! I didn't stay at an all-inclusive (not my thing, not that there's anything wrong with it), and I skipped each of the places you mention -- but it was a great trip nonetheless! Puerto Morelos, Tulum, Valladolid, Izamal, Merida, the Ruta Puuc, Celestun, Campeche, Calakmul, Palenque, San Cristobal de las Casas, Tuxtla Guttierez....
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 09:02 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Kja, what did you think of the last 2 on your list? Would you go back to either, or both?
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 09:12 PM
kja

@ MmePerdu: I adored San Cristobal de las Casas and would definitely return if the opportunity arose! Among other things, it's beautifully situated, affords some fascinating opportunities to experience local Mayan communities and culture, and has one of the most enjoyable markets I've ever visited. I found Tuxtla pleasant enough, but not of the same order as San Cristobal, and I've seen / done what I want there, so I probably would not return. JMO.
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 06:00 AM

I'd suggest Playa del Carmen rather than Cancun. Lots of AI resorts, good beaches, and lots to do in the region (cenotes, barrier reef, Maya sites). And you can wander around Playa for shoping, eating, drinking, nightlife, etc.
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 10:29 AM

Kja, thanks for your response. A late artist friend lived for years in San Cristobal and loved to talk about his time there. I've spent time in Oaxaca twice, at this stage of the game a long trip for me and San Cristobal even longer, hence my question. I would like to visit so maybe do the trip in stages. Thanks again.
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 10:36 AM
kja

@ MmePerdu: If it helps, I believe the Tuxtla airport is very easily reached from San Cristobal -- no need to go to Tuxtla itself unless you want to do so.
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 11:50 AM

Yes, kja, I see that. The question would be, do I fly there directly from CA with a stop in Guadalajara on the dreaded overnight flight, or travel at civilized times of the day and take it slower. India & Mexico seem among the countries that love their middle-of-the-night flights. Ugh.
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 12:21 PM
kja

@ MmePerdu: Good luck with that decision!
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 08:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm single, I travel solo twice a year to Mexico, but go to Puerto Vallarta. I rent an apartment or stay in a budget hotel, rather than going all-inclusive. I have had only positive experiences in many trips there.

for chrissie - I think you can find what you are looking for around Cancun or Playa del Carmen (but have not been to that side myself). Maybe look at Isla Mujeres? I don't particularly recommend the Dominican Republic in comparison to Mexico especially traveling alone (i've been to the DR 2x and Mexico 30+ trips which shows my preference).