Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Shopping in Puerto Vallarta....especially silver?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 04:57 AM
Elaine

I don't want to spend a huge amount of time shopping, but I would like to know the best shops in terms of both selection, and fair prices. I would particularly like to know of some good places to find high quality silver jewellery. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 04:16 PM
marianne

Suneson is good for jewelry--high quality and fair prices

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 03:35 PM
jim

Been to pv a few times. Don't shop in the flea market or on the malecon or in the hotels. Best shopping is just past the malecon as you cross over the river. Also go up and down the streets behing the cathedral.

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 05:42 PM
Elaine

Thank you for the shopping suggestions. <BR> <BR>Do any of these places have fixed prices, or is everyone expected to negotiate a price? Is there a general consensus as to how much below the asking price one can go on average?

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 03:14 PM
jim

My experience is that you negotiate for everything. They start at a price generally double what they will take. Offer half to start, be friendly, they like to have fun with the whole process. I had a lady give me a lower price than we agreed to just because I tried to treat her as a decent human being. We all respond well to that. Good luck , relax and have lots of fun. The people there are very friendly and warm. They would be really good neighbors.Jim