Shillmac - question for you re CR

Jun 8th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Shillmac - question for you re CR

Hi Shillmac (and all other CR gurus) -
I'll be in CR from 6/16 through 6/28th - first time CAN'T WAIT. You recommended travelling to Dominical and I wanted to know how close that is to MA? We'll be staying at Tulemar. I am interested in getting some surfing lessons for my kids and I think Dominical has lessons there. Also, if you know of any other beaches with surfing (beginner - they've never done it before) let me know. What do you like about Dominical? We won't have a car in MA but we'll be there for 6 nights so I'm looking to do some day trips. I am so grateful for the info you and the CR group has posted. I feel so much better about our trip, knowing what to expect! Thank you!
Jenn
Jun 8th, 2008, 07:58 PM

I'm probably not the best person to tell you what we like about Dominical, as it has changed so much since we first "liked" it! Very developed now, with billboards and real estate signs all over the place. Sheesh, I hate that.

We stayed at Pacific Edge, and although the owners were a little unusual (not in a bad way), the accomodations were fun, the view was gorgeous, and the birding was good. One of my passions. . .

We didn't spend much time there, couple of days, driving down to Playa Ventanas, a pretty beach with some "window" rocks, hence the name. It's about 30 min. south of Dominical, good highway. . . We had lunch and I got a massage at Rocas Verdes, recommendation of Susie, owner of Pacific Edge. . .

If we go back there, we'll most likely stay at Rafiki Lodge or Hacienda Baru. . .

I like all of CR, but am getting tired of areas that have been so taken over by outsiders, making it hard to experience the Tico culture.
Even so, Playa Flamingo up north is an exception and remains one of my favorite places!

Dominical is close to MA, but the road between the two is awful, and can take up to 1.5 hour--to go about 30 miles (48 or so km).

Another area (which we've not visited) that is especially recommended for beginning surfers if Playa Nosara, further north, near Samara.

Hope this helps a bit. . .
Jun 8th, 2008, 09:29 PM

Have you looked into the Manuel Antonio Surf School? Lessons for just about any age right at the park.
Jun 9th, 2008, 05:22 AM

My daughther is in MA. She called just yesterday to tell me that she learned to surf. She had a blast and said she got up the first time. Our phone connection was terrible. I have an email out to her which I had asked how she set it up, what instructor she used and where she went. I will let you know what she says in a day or two.
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:51 AM

OK MA Surf School is certainly an option and one that I had told my daughter about.

However, she and some of her fellow students ended up going to a beach vendor that had surf boards. Lessons and board rental for 4 hours was $40.

She checks her email before class and responses are typically very short. If she gives me any additional info, I will pass it along.
Jun 9th, 2008, 08:09 AM

I would say Dominical is more for advanced surfers. It is known for its big waves.

As previously mentioned, MASS (Manuel Antonio Surf School) is an option - though the one review I have seen of it over at TA gave it so so reviews. I suspect they are more expensive because they have a web presence and advertise. I have however seen people taking lessons with them and it impressed me how they were getting up on their boards. They are not quite "right at the park but a few hundred metres down the beach. They also have an office on the Quepos MA road - a bit less than a mile from Quepos.

When we were in MA last month, we got to chatting to a young guy on the beach. His name was Johnny. he works for a place on the beach that rented boards, chairs etc. and gives surk lessons called Dante's Boards. I was quite impressed because even in our little chat though he saw right off I was not a potential customer, he was talking to me about surfing, the waves and more important stressing safety.

I am sure there are other people on the beach offering lessons.

You might want to cinsider a day trip to the Jaco area. It is about an hour from MA.

raquel
Jun 12th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the responses. We were able to make arrangement with Juan Brenes to tour us through MA park. He said he knows several local sufers who can take her right from the beach in MA (like your daughter did - dfarmer). I would never let her go on a tour by herself (she's 17) and I'll feel much better being there on the beach while she gets her lesson. Thanks for all of your great advice! You are all the unofficial ambassadors of CR! Maybe someday I'll be one, too Jenn