Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Leblon - Rio De Janeiro - BIG THUMBS DOWN!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a mistake.......

Nice enough property, but the CS and front desk including the day manager needs to be re-trained.

Came in early last Wednesday about 2pm. Check in time is 3pm. Understantable as it was the day after Carnival, but I was told at 3pm that they need few more minutes. Fine. Come back around 3:30pm, the room is not ready. Come back at 4pm, the room is not ready. Right from the start I was offered a beach front room for $50 a day more and I was told it was ready. After the 2nd visit to the front desk I asked to speak to the manager. Did not make one bit of difference. If I wanted the original room I had to wait or if I wanted to pay extra, the ocean front room is ready right now. I could not believe that the manager actually told me that. Came back at 4:30pm, still no room!!! Finally at 5pm I got the "original" room. The room had a wet carpet in the hallway. Called, nothing..... The AC did not work for 1/2 a day, called, nothing.....the internet did not work, called and guess what? nothing, and it just kept on going and going.... I was on vacation so I took it, but this place needs to re-think it's business strategy. IT SUCKED!!!! BIG TIME!!!!!

I hope Starwood looks into this property and it's employees. I will NEVER go back there again. I know they get a lot of the cruise pre/post packages and maybe they don't care about the rest, but to treat a customer this way was unacceptable, PERIOD!

Very disappointed to say the least.......
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 06:18 PM

Ah it doesn't sound so bad, give it a break, you were in Rio man, your lucky you didn't get mugged or killed then you would really have something to complain about.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Original Poster

I was not complaining about Rio, just the hotel. Rio was GREAT! I never felt unsafe, wore an expensive watch, stayed out at night, walked around, etc.

Sorry that you feel that way about the city, I don't. I'm not saying that it's not possible to get mugged or attacked, but I felt that as long as I stayed around the famous beach areas (<i>where there were thousands upon thousands of people walking around, all night long</i I was safe.

The hotel issue was important to me. How they can offer a room for $50 a day more and at the same time make me wait for my room until 5PM? when the check in time is 3PM? My friend asked for late checkout and guess what? they said anything after 12PM will be $60. So, they could charge extra for late checkout yet not be accountable for late check in? Sorry, it does not fly in my world.....

Starwood will hear about this.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:26 PM

I appreciate your post. I will not stay at the Sheraton Leblanc. There are other good deals in Rio. There is no excuse to treat tourists this way. For some people it might be the dream vacation they saved for for 10 years and then to be treated so rudely is inexcusable. Most reputable hotels would have compensated you.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

I received a personal reply from a Sarwood CSR. She informed me that they contacted the General Manager at the property on my behalf and I should receive some kind of a reply from her/him in 7 days or less. If I don't she gave me her own direct phone/e-mail contact.

I have this strange feeling that I'll be offered some kind of an upgrade or a free night next time I stay there. It really won't do anything for me as I know I will not be staying there, but just the knowledge that Starwood puts a mark next to the property makes me feel better. Maybe if enough people complain, they will adjust their attitude.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

BTW, it looks like I'm not the only one that had problems with this propery:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533113

and

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533204

Reporting from the Four Points Sheraton in Montevideo, Uruguay.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Surprise! The General Manager of the Sheraton contacted me through e-mail with an apology AND a 1 night refund. I thought that was more than generous of her.