Search

Seeking to just "be" in Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking to just "be" in Buenos Aires

Hello,
I'm a single mid-20s female desperately wanting to go to Buenos Aires. I have no one to go with, and don't particularly like the idea of travelling by myself, unless it is with another group of people my age. I was thinking about perhaps taking a course at a university. But I'm not sure that you can just walk into a university in Buenos Aires and ask to sign up for a single course. Would this require a student visa?

Originally I wanted to just pack up and move to Buenos Aires, but I discovered that obtaining a work permit requires that a contract be all set up beforehand, and this is difficult to do over the internet. Most people will not hire anyone a) without a work permit (how's that for a catch 22) and b) that they cannot meet face to face.

So I'm looking for alternatives. I would like to be in Bs As for 1-3 months. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:07 PM

You have a lot of homework to do, start here:

http://tinyurl.com/yacvo6

Wishing you Good Luck!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 03:16 AM

If you are a native English speaker then get yourself a TEFL qualification - one month full time for one that is worth having. I say worth having not just because potential employers will view it favourably - but because if you think because you speak a language you can teach it, you are wrong. Well, you could, but you wouldn't be doing your students any favours; ditto yourself.

Go learn. And then with the qualification you can apply for a job in advance. But you could just go and busk it. If you have a return ticket why not? nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Best of luck
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 02:41 PM

I haven't been to BA yet but I am planning a trip. I just wanted to comment on your apprehension about traveling solo.

I just returned from a 5 week solo trip to SE Asia and it was one of the best trips I have ever had in my LIFE!

I am already planning my next solo adventure. My boyfriend only has 5 weeks of vacation a year and since I am an independent contractor I can come and go as long as I have the money.

I truly hope to be able to afford to take at least one solo trip each year.

Go for it!

You can also check out this website:

http://forwomentravelingsolo.com/

The founder of this site is currently traveling solo in India.

Cheers!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 02:30 AM

Agree absolutely with Eurotraveller's response. But find the amazement that someone could ACTUALLY TRAVEL ALONE in India a bit rich.

Wow!! jeez - let's all gape.

India is not so hard. Pretty easy really. Africa is a challenge becausw of the infrastructure jleasy to travel aroundin; Argentinma a ezpow!!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 02:32 AM

Agree absolutely with Eurotraveller's response. But find the amazement that someone could ACTUALLY TRAVEL ALONE in India a bit rich.

Wow!! jeez - let's all gape.

India is not so hard. Pretty easy really. Africa is a challenge becausw of the infrastructure. China is a challenge because of the language.

Aregentina is a dodle.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Fuzzy, I am often surprised by your sarcastic comments, especially when they are unjust.

I only commented that the female founder was traveling solo in India to point out that many women travel solo all over the world, not to make everyone <i>gape</i>.

And to post it twice?! Hmmm... :-?
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 12:15 PM

Here is one option for you: Check the 2007 study options for courses at the University of Buenos Aires for foreign students.
http://www.master-exchange.com/eng_volunteer.php

As well, the Master Residencia would be a good place for you to be housed...with students from throughout Latin America and the world.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:42 AM

And I only posted because to see &quot;travelling alone in India&quot; held up as if it was something special makes it sound as though it's rare, and is new, and jeez swomething to marvel at.

It isn't. Ordinary women have been travelling independently and alone for at least the last 30 years. Before that, I agree, they were pioneers.

Your comment and tone indicated that you thought it was something to marvel at. And that does none of us amy favours.

have you been to India?
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 06:04 AM

fuzzylogic, your logic is indeed fuzzy and you read too much between the lines.

Please explain how you could possibly think the <i>tone</i> of my statement &quot;The founder is currently traveling solo in India&quot; indicated that traveling alone in India was something to &quot;marvel&quot; at?!? I don't even have an exclamation mark behind that statement.

As you can see by my second post directed at you, I posted my comments to point out to the OP that &quot;many women travel solo all over the world&quot;.

I still don't see why you find it neccessary to be so sarcastic and biting when you reply to posts.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 08:08 AM

&quot;<i>The founder of this site is currently traveling solo in India.</i>
IMO-There is nothing in this statement to make a person think that it was meant as anything but exactly what it says.
That the founder of the site was traveling solo in India, which lends credence to the persons qualifications to run a Solo Travel Site.
I think to go on and on about this, fuzzy, is detrimental to this thread.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 10:00 AM

Euro and Scarlett

How does one say in Spanish...if you lay down with dogs you get fleas?
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Thanks Scarlett. ;-) Enjoying the snow?