Search

Requirements?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Requirements?

So, I am going to go to Cancun, and I was wondering what the requirements are for bringing a person who is not in the family. My parents are taking me, and they said I could bring a friend. Does anything special have to be done?

Thanks. Jenny
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
U.S. Deparment of State website:

"Minors: Mexican law requires that any non-Mexican under the age of 18 departing Mexico must carry notarized written permission from any parent or guardian not traveling with the child. This permission must include the name of the parent, the name of the child, the name of anyone traveling with the child, and the notarized signature(s) of the absent parent(s). The State Department recommends that the permission should include travel dates, destinations, airlines and a brief summary of the circumstances surrounding the travel. The child must be carrying the original letter – not a facsimile or scanned copy – as well as proof of the parent/child relationship (usually a birth certificate or court document) – and an original custody decree, if applicable. Travelers should contact the Mexican Embassy or closest Mexican Consulate for current information."

And a passport!
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Now, is this if I am coming from the Us to Cancun?
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Yes, That is what is posted on the U.S. Department of State website pertaining to requirements for entering Mexico.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 01:30 PM

Another good way to check what is required is to ask the airline you will be flying.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Oh dear Jenny... Sorry, I see now that it is not clear or appropriate for your situation. I'm sorry.

It is: #1 your airline who says what documents you need to be allowed on the plane, then #2 Mexican immigration who controls who is allowed to enter Mexico upon arrival, AND #3 on your return, it is U.S. immigrations that controls who is allowed back into the United States.
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 12:19 PM

It really isn't the airlines that decide. They should be up on what each country requires so they can check to make sure you fullfill those requirements when you check in. Sadly, I have seen reports from too many people who have arrived in countries with the wrong paperwork based on what the airlines said to them. You will be denied entrance to the country and have to turn around and go home on the next flight. Your best bet is to check with each individual country to ask what their requirements are for your country of record. Canadian residents might have different requirements than US citizens for instance.

If you are an american citizen and returning from another country you are okay with your passport. If you have been traveling to Mexico, Bermuda, etc on just your birth certificate you will be okay with that until Jan 23 when a passport will be required for those countries.

As of January 23, 2007 every person traveling to Mexico will have to have a valid passport. If you are traveling before that date an original birth certificate will still be okay as far as I can tell-check for yourself to be sure. As suze posted, other requirements are in force as well when someone is a minor.

Have fun!
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 08:09 AM

While it is true airlines are not governments, they are your 1st step - that was the point I was attempting to make. If they don't let you on the plane because of missing documentation, you won't be going anywhere

In addition to your passport you also need a letter from the unaccompanied minor's parent(s).
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Hi Suze, I am not critisizing anything you said but I do worry about people who depend on the airlines for correct info. Unfortunately, they are letting people on the plane without the correct documentation. I personally was behind someone who arrived in Costa Rica on just a birth certificate at least a year after the rule had changed. She was told by the airline that that was all she needed because that was all that was needed previously. Even with all the news about passport changes the person at the check in didn't realize that there had been a change I guess. The woman was sent home. Her husband/bf did have a passport. Don't know if he left with her, they finally pulled them out of the line and let the rest of us go through immigration after a good 20 minutes.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 06:37 AM

Point well taken. Good information!

I was only trying to say that if your paperwork ISN'T even good enough for the airline, the rest won't matter, because they are your first check-point and you won't be going anywhere