Search

Sansa or Nature Air

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2003, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sansa or Nature Air

We need to get from Quepos to Tamarindo and understand that it's a long drive.Considering a domestic flight.We will be traveling in August and we are comitted to packing light, but my husband will have some fishing equipment with him that will probably put him over his luggage limit.What happens if you have more than one bag? Do they just charge extra ? Do they send it on a later flight? How booked up do the flights get in green season? Should we book our flights before we get there? Which is the better airline,Sansa or Nature Air? We are even looking into a charter through Nature Air, has anyone had any experience doing this? Help! I need advice!
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 05:55 AM

Have taken many many private charters all over CR. You will be on a very very small plane and it is quite expensive. The advantage is that you can fly where and when you want. I just recently contacted one of the airlines and asked about a flight from Quepos to Tamarindo. They said they didn't have one and that I would have to fly to SJ and then on to Tamarindo from Quepos.
This year I was flying back to SJ from Pto Jimenez and had to fly seperate from my luggage. It arrived on another flight about 20 mins later.
My husband had a few extra pounds because of his photo equipment and they didn't charge extra or refuse his stuff but it can vary from flight to flight. We were flying Nature air from SJ to Pto Jimenez at that time.
Have flown with both and didn't see much of a difference in service.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 10:15 AM
Iza

We flew both and I agree with Suzie2's assessment except that we noted that Sansa planes tend to be bigger (a dozen passengers instead of 5) and they have 2 pilots on their flights. We flew NatureAir when it was still Travelair and were charged for extra weight (but our bags were put on the same flight with us).
I don't believe that any of those airlines have direct flights between Tamarindo and Quepos so you may have to go through San Jose. That being said, Travelair was much more accommodating with unscheduled stops (for example it stopped in Carillo to drop people off on flight we took from SJ to Tamarindo; we were also able to arrange a pickup from Quepos on a flight from SJ to Puerto Jimenez). We only go to Costa Rica in the green season so that probably made a difference in flexibility; the flights in the green season are not that booked up.
In general, see if your hotel could make the reservations for you; local hotels and travel agencies seem to have more "leverage" in negotiating flexible itineraries than you would have if you were on your own.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 10:41 AM

I was about to make the same post! Funny! Does anyone know how long the drive is from Tamarindo to Quepos? Flying to SJO then on to Quepos sounds tricky and potentially time consuming. Thanks!
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:47 AM

The drive to MA is not particularly tricky although driving in general can be. It will be pretty long. Haven't done that particular drive but my guess would be about 6hrs. You might want to allow for cattle on the road in Guanacaste and getting lost. I have been on the road quite a bit in the Guanacaste area and between the pot holes and cattle I would keep my eyes open.
Regarding the size of the planes. Iza is correct on the size of the planes on scheduled flights but I was refering to private charter plane size.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 07:04 AM

I have made that drive several times, and it is not that bad (in Costa Rica terms) It will take you 5 or 6 hours, you can do it faster, but you have to drive like a maniac, and i dont reccomend it. They have done a ton of work on the roads latley, and they are much better than they were several years ago. If you drive during the day (i reccomend that if you are unfamiliar with the trip) directions will not be that difficult. Good luck, and have fun