Search

San Jose del Cabo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 07:46 AM
Deanna

San Jose del Cabo

Going to the Posada Real last week of Oct. Been to PV twice, but never Cabo. Anyone been to the hotel? What should I expect of the room and amenities? What shouldn't I miss? Best place for food? My husband is a surfer - any good waves you can recommend? Any comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 08:53 AM
JoAnn

Been to Cabo, but not San Jose del Cabo, but try www.allaboutcabo.com (or net?) for some info and links.

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 01:30 PM
Margaret

Don't miss Cabo San Lucas. Take some kind of a boat cruise that includes going to the arch at lands end, go to the Whale Watcher Bar at sunset and have dinner at Mi Casa, all in Cabo San Lucas.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 06:03 PM
Mk

Deanna, <BR>Spent a week in Los Cabos at the end of August...and one night at the Posada Real. Watch your valuables. Within 2 hours of being there someone broke into our room and stole a valuable ring. My wife was not too happy. The hotel offered to give us two free nights (after several letters and e-mails). The place actually isn't too bad. The beach is nice, but unswimable. Surfing is better about 2 miles towards Cabo San Lucas by some rocks. Rent a car for a day or two and drive to Cabo...or even take a bus (we did both). Definately take the boat cruise to Los Arcos in Cabo. And drive in to visit some of the mega-resorts along the corridor (especially the Westin and Hacienda del Mar). There are a lot of good places to eat...many advertised on the web. Watch out for the margaritas! And enjoy! <BR> <BR>Mik

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 06:19 AM
garry

Stayed at the Posada last Oct. and loved it. Had no bad experiences, but wasn't stupid enough to leave any valuables laying loose in the room, either! I don't surf, but talked to some of the people there who did and all raved about the break at Zippers, about two miles to the west. Looks like plenty of shops along that stretch of beach that cater strictly to surfers with equipment, supplies, etc. <BR> <BR>Cabo San Lucas is the hotspot for nightlife, but I much prefer staying in San Jose, much more laid back, nice downtown area, excellent food. (The shrimp tacos at Sandricks, above the Tropicana in downtown, are a necessity.) <BR> <BR>I'll be there myself 10/04-10/14, have a great time!

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 07:50 AM
Deanna

Garry, thanks for the best reply yet. We have been to PV twice, and never had anything stolen, either - but, like you, we do not leave vaulables laying around. Can you tell me about the rooms? Do they have in-room safes? Did you get a king bed or 2 doubles? Are you staying at the same place again, or trying another resort? <BR> <BR>Both of us are laid-back. I can't imagine staying in Cabo with all the loud night-life. Might want to join in for a night or two, but I want the MAJORITY of my stay to be peaceful! <BR> <BR>So jealous that you are going so soon. PLEASE write when you get back and let me know the weather. I've already heard about the Tropicana and Sandricks - let me know of anything else you find in your travels!!! <BR> <BR>Have fun and hear from you soon!!!!!!

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 08:46 PM
Garry and Melissa

staying at the Fiesta Inn this time because of a discount rate. It s two properties down from the Posada Real and very comparable in size and style. Late October will be a good time to go, much dryer than when we are going, but we go to fish, and this is the best time of year for that. While staying at the Posada Real, make sure and walk down the beach to the west and try the poolbar at the Fiesta Inn. Also, try the weekend brunch buffet at the Presidente Intercontinental, about a mile to the east. Hope you have fun.

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 12:34 PM
Deanna

Hey Garry, the friends we are going with are really gung ho on fishing. Can you give me some ideas about how much it costs, how long you stay out, do you keep the fish or not? <BR> <BR>Again, thanks for your wonderful replys - hope to hear from you upon your return! <BR> <BR>Deanna

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 02:22 PM
Deana

Deanna, we stayed at Posada Real in May of this year, the rooms have been recently renovated and are quite clean and bright. They have lock boxes at the front desk and the rooms have all your basic amenities, for an additional charge your room fridge will be turned on. The restaurant at the hotel is OK, however, don't drink the juice! I became very ill after breakfast one morning and I am sure it was the juice. If you are going to rent a car I would suggest taking a day or two and going to LaPaz which is 2 1/2 hours northeast in the Sea of Cortez, it has not been hit quite so hard by the tourism industry as the Los Cabos and there are some spectacular places to go and see around the area. We stayed at a great little B&B by the bay for $30 a night with no reservations. We also went to Cabo for a day and took the Los Arcos sea trip which was nice, however, you couldn't get me out of Cabo fast enough, major tourist trap, completely commercialized and no culture, I remember Cabo when it was a beautiful little fishing village in the early 80's and now it's a hotel mecca and I was not impressed. I have tons more info on the southern tip of Baja (lived there for 5 years at one time) so feel free to contact me directly via e-mail...cheers!

Old Oct 7th, 1999, 08:08 AM
margaret

Deanna, just in case Garry doesn't get the fishing information to you I thought I would let you know what I've learned from fishing in Cabo over the past few years. We usually get a 28 foot boat which costs a little under $300.00. That includes boat, crew, gear and license. You still have to buy your bait fish, food and drinks and tip for the captain and crew. You can give them one of your fish as a tip. Boats leave around 7;00 a.m. and return at 2:00 p.m. You can keep your fish but catch and release of bill fish is encouraged unless it's your first or it dies during the fight. The dorado is delicious. Our hotel cooks our catch for dinner that night. You will have to have a cooler to bring any fish home and they are pretty expensive down there so if you plan on fishing and have a cooler at home, bring it with you. Also, it's cold and wet in the morning and gets hot in the afternoon so dress accordingly. One other thing, if you can stand sitting through a Solmar timeshare sales pitch you can usually get a boat at half price.

Old Oct 7th, 1999, 08:23 AM
Margaret

Sorry, forgot to tell you about the pangas, small fishing boats. You can get one for about $150.00 with one crew member. They don't go very far off shore but you can get a marlin on one. The pangas don't have bathrooms although I avoid those on the bigger boats anyway. I thought it was fun.