Search

San Cristobol de las Casas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Cristobol de las Casas

Hola,
I'm looking for some help with lodging in SC. This would be for 2-3 nights, one bed, private bath, HW, heat if needed and access to a fridge if possible.
I'd like to keep the price under 50 per night. We likely won't have a car and would like to stay in a somewhat quiet room.

I've looked at TA, Moon and a couple other books- no prices, no websites, outdated info and mixed reviews.I also find that the places that get most ink are out of my price range.

Lastly, we won't arrive into town until after 6:30pm - Can we wing it?
Appreciate any help.
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 09:00 AM

Cybor, look at Hotel Media Luna, their en suite rooms. I did extensive research on San Cristobal hotels in your price range before I was to be in San Cristobal this last Nov., but my son, who was at home, got very ill and I had to come home before I got to San Cristobal.

After all the research and reviews and emails and questions answered to several places, I decided Hotel Media Luna was the best in that price range (it was about $32 a night). No fridge in the rms. but access to one to use in the central kitchen. I do not think there is heat in the rms though, but they provide plenty of blankets. Be aware that very few hotels have heat in San Cristobal, and I could not find any that did in this price range. I was going to take sweats to wear at night in the hotel and to bed, and use the blankets, as I have had to do in other towns of this size and altitude in winter in MX in hotels in this price range.
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 09:01 AM

I wouldn't wing it, but that is just me. There see to be a lot of inexpensive hotels w/crappy reviews in San Cristobal. In partcular, noise factor is an issue w/many of those centrally located.
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 09:42 PM
kja

Have you looked at Bela's?

http://belasbandb.com/

I believe the room with a shared bath is in your price range, and the bathroom is (I believe) shared with only the owners, who are very accommodating. LOVELY place.

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 10:20 PM

I looked at Bela's when I was looking for a place to stay for my Nov. visit. But I could not get past the "three month cancellation fee that consists of a two night deposit," (htha is clearly stated on their website). That was explained to me in an email from them that if I cancelled within three months of my date of stay, I would be losing my two night deposit, total, all of it.

That is a stiff penalty for a MX hotel, things happen, travel plans change, people get sick, but they had no flexibility in case of having to cancel-- within 3 months prior to the stay-- illness prohibiting travel, whatever, doesn't matter.
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 10:31 PM
kja

> I looked at Bela's .. I could not get past the "three month cancellation fee ..."

Oh my! The B&B is so tiny that I'm sure cancellations are anathema, but I'm so glad I stayed there before she put that policy in place!

(Still, it is SO charming that I might still consider it if I had cancel-for-any-reason insurance....)
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 11:25 PM

I had a great stay here, and it's very cheap (about $15/night):

http://www.hotelsanluissancristobal.com.mx

No heat, though. As for access to a fridge, I think they would help you out with small items, but I didn't try.

If you do somehow get heat somewhere, be very careful about gas heaters. I've read of several carbon monoxide deaths in Mexico of American or Canadian tourists.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 02:00 AM

I spent 2 weeks in San Cris and surrounds in 2010, mostly living with a local family. I shuttled to Guatemala and back, then spent my last night at Casa Margarita: here's the paragraph from my travelogue:

I enjoyed one last evening of live music and people watching in the park, had a double scoop of mango sorbet for dinner, and stayed at Casa Margarita http://www.chiapasturistico.com/casamargarita/index.htm just a few blocks from the zocalo where $35US bought a night in a little gabled room on the 3rd floor (when I heard fireworks, I just needed to step outside my door and onto the rooftop terrace to watch them), tiny but spotless, a nice bathroom, tv (which I didn't use), and a safe; there was wifi in the courtyard and lobby and a nice onsite restaurant.

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations for museums, tours, Maya sites, etc. are embedded there. Happy trails!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 05:21 AM

The pics of Casa Margarita on tripadvisor look very nice. Also, I see that there is a review of Casa Margarita there that was written on August 12, 2012 that says the person was staying at Hotel Media Luna down the st. and when they saw Casa Margarita they checked out of Media Luna and went to Casa Margarita.

Thanks for menioning Casa Margarita, hopefulist. I always enjoy your travelogue writings and your pics and recommendations for MX.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 05:28 AM

But it looks like Casa Margaritas rates have gone up condierably. The least expensive rate for a room there (I looked at booking the night of Feb 28 on their website) is $60

http://www.tourshotel.com.mx/
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all - This is just the kind of info I'm looking for.

I've already checked out Bela's. The confirmed by email rate was 65. for the shared bath. It sounds as though there may be 2 lavs, 2 sinks and one shower... I think. I assume that's in one BR.
None the less, it may be more than I want to pay.

Media Luna confirmed an en-suite rate of 43.

hopefulist, Your photos are lovely. I've read your reports in the past but look forward to enjoying them again.

I'll check out the other recommended hotels.

Meanwhile, I do need to decide whether I can wing it or need to book ahead. The couple hotels that I contacted did have availability.

It's hard to know ahead what we'll be doing. If anyone has any logistical ideas as well as places that you like that will work without a vehicle I'm all ears.

Thus far, I know we'll bus to SCDLC the first night and see Palenque at the end of our stay. We'd like to hike, bike, kayak?, see a few remote indigenous villages, hit the mercado(s), wander around and of course, test the local food and drink.
Any ideas on a third location or an itinerary?

Looks like we'll be flying into TG Feb. 28 and out of Vill to Merida March 8. We'll be in Merida for 3 wks then fly out of Cancun.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

One more question.
In regards to the refrigerator question, is there a place where I can buy a small cooler if there isn't a fridge at the hotel?

I need to store some very costly medication. My preference is to keep the meds in my room rather than in a common fridge.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

One more question.
In regards to the refrigerator question, is there a place where I can buy a small cooler if there isn't a fridge at the hotel?

I need to store some very costly medication. My preference is to keep the meds in my room rather than in a common fridge.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 06:26 AM
kja

> Bela's. ... for the shared bath. It sounds as though there may be 2 lavs, 2 sinks and one shower... I think. I assume that's in one BR.

That fits with my memory. The rooms with sinks, toilets, and shower were along one side of a lovely courtyard going from the front of the house (the owner's residence) to the back, where the small single with shared bath was.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 06:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I feel like hopping on a plane!
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 06:35 AM

me too, and will be in just 6 more wks!
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 06:39 AM

cybor, check your email.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 10:52 AM

My room was ensuite, and just an excellent deal for $15 USD/night.
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 04:58 PM

Will, that hotel does look nice and if it had a bathrm in the rm for $15 that is pretty amazing. How was the location? If good, I am going to look into it for my trip.
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 09:56 AM

I thought it was a great location. Maybe being right at the Zocalo would be ideal, but I did not mind being 3 or 4 blocks away. I spent a lot of time in the Real de Guadalupe area, say about 6 blocks east, but walking back at night is no problem. Also, you can take a cab for 20 pesos. Also, I liked the surrounding area, and found a bunch of interesting spots.

The hotel does have, um, traditional Mexican plumbing, meaning you can't flush toilet paper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -