Search

Safety South of Tulum

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 12:21 PM
chris

Safety South of Tulum

Hi, <BR> <BR>How safe is it to travel in the area south of Tulum, if you are not travelling with a tour group or on a tour bus?

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Susan

We've driven as far south as Bacalar, which is just above the Belize border. There was no problem at all.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 06:37 AM
chris

Hi, <BR> <BR>Thanks Susan. Tulum to just above Belize is the area I'm looking at. Anyone else with different experiences? I was told by someone who was there a year ago that it was a common site to see people carrying guns for protection against robbery. <BR> <BR>Thanks again, <BR>Chris

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 09:45 AM
Kathy

Hi Chris, <BR><BR> I own and run a small bed and breakfast on the shores of the Laguna Bacalar, it is called Amigo's B&amp;B ( http://www.bacalar.net) and we ( either one of us or both) husband and I drive the Playa -Bacalar road at least once a week or more.. ( we also one a B&amp;B on Cozumel, hence the reason for the weekly commute) and have found that there are no problems at all. Do make sure you have a full gas tank when leaving Tulum, and once in Felipe Carrillo Puerto you might want to fill up again as the next Pemex station is either on the hwy to Escarsga or in the city of Chetumal.. There are no Pemex stations in Bacalar... Just leaving Felipe south,there at times is a military check point.. Remember here in Mexico,at age 18 it is obligatory for men to serve, and many of these military are just kids doing there 'job' They will be searching for arms, drugs, illegals from Guatemala and such. Just be kind, answer their questions and allow them to search should they want to.. Any resistance might cause problems. Do have the papers for your car,as well as your drivers license with you.. I would also advise NOT to drive this TulUM -Bacalar route during the night as it is very dark and not at all lit up.. Beyond Felipe you will pass four different 'pueblos', the largest being Limones.. just after this will be the turn off for Majuhual and Ixcalac.. Where ever you see the sign with the words 'TOPES' make note ( the sign actually looks like female breasts, two bumps )this is the sign for SPEED BUMPS&gt;.. so slow down or you might bottom out your car as at times they are very high.. The other thing is to have PESOS in low demominations with you.. FEW people are accustomed to exchanging dollars or other currencies and this truly takes them for a loop when presented with something other than pesos... ATM machines south of Playa ( don't know yet if they made it to TULUM .. talk is soon,)are only in CHETUMAL... <BR>Enjoy your trip and stop in and see our place when you make it to Bacalar.. Amigo's B&amp;B Bacalar.. <BR>kathy

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 05:55 AM
lisa

We were in Laguna Bacalar last November and had no safety issues whatsoever. The military checkpoints can be a little intimidating but just be polite. Sometimes they just waved us through and sometimes they checked our passports. Also, watch your speed because those speed bumps will really get you!

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 07:52 AM
chris

Kathy and Lisa,<BR><BR>Thanks so much for the information. These are exactly the kind of things I need to know. Kathy, I am checking out your web site.<BR><BR>Chris

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 06:59 AM
peggy

We went to Chetumal on our last trip and just into the free zone in Belize. <BR><BR>The road south of Tulum becomes a two lane. You may not want to drive at night - as the large trucks often travel at this time and the roads are slightly narrow. During the day it's no problem.<BR><BR>have fun<BR>www.playadelcarmenvacation.com<BR>