Search

safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safety concerns

My husband and I are visiting in August and were wondering if we should be concerned for our safety. Do travel guides carry any sort of defense mweaprons? Does anyone have any thoughts in this?

Thanks.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 06:42 AM

Where is it that you are visiting??
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 06:50 AM

Well, guides carry tripods often, so you can see the animals better. The only defensive weapon they might carry is bug spray.
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 08:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
what country are you talking about?
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 04:58 AM

eshain, we just returned from a trip to C.R. Drove from San Jose to manuel antonio and had a bad experience with someone giving us a flat tire just two miles from rental agency. It seems this is becoming a big problem, although nobody mentions it. We were waiting at an intersection (in San Jose) and a man approached by foot and crouched next to the car while he was doing his "deed". Didn't pay attention
until a few blocks later the tire went flat. ( he also punctured the spare that was hanging in the back ).
From what we later heard, this may also happen at gas stations while they're filling up. Then someone will offer to "help you" and will rob you.
My advice is to rent a driver, or use taxis. Once in Manuel Antonio we used the public transportation which was very good. Even the hotel management advised not to leave the car unattended in Quepos or elsewhere, so
we never drove again until we returned the vehicle.
Other than that, while we were on our tours we never felt danger or threatened in any way. The countryside is beautiful and people in general friendly. Hope you have a great trip.