Search

Royal Hideaway

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2000, 09:21 AM
Curt/Lori

Royal Hideaway

We are planning our honeymoon in PDC for November, and are torn between the Royal Hideaway and the Porto Real. We have heard great things about both...and from reading the messages in here, we're only hearing more! We do have a couple questions for those of you that have stayed there. 1. What are the beaches and water like at both? Nice, sandy and swimmable waters? or are they "ok"? <BR>2. Which one would you recommend? <BR> <BR>We'd appreciate all the input we can receive...because we are just so torn! We've heard about the "bumping" from the R.H., and that is a concern...but how frequently does this occur? <BR> <BR>Thanks All.... <BR>

Old May 29th, 2000, 07:45 PM
LIZ

Lori, I guess you found the great trip report on PLAYAGUIDE...If you're not the same Lori, check it out!... <BR> <BR>Re: Bumping...Last year in Jamaica people, on our flight, were told at the airport by the Super Clubs rep, that they were going to be brought to another of the company's properties...When we got to the hotel, another couple who came in on the shuttle with us were told the same thing...We checked in with no problem!..I spoke to my travel agent about this and also told her what I'd seen about being bumped from the RH.....She said that if you book thru a major travel agent, you shouldn't worry too much about being bumped, as they don't want to get on the wrong side of these agencies....We book thru Liberty Travel...What she's telling us may be just self-serving, but she said that reps from Allego, Sandals, Super Clubs, etc., drop into her office (and other Liberty Travels) to be sure there have been no complaints....A large organization like Liberty can really make an impact on business!...I don't know how true this is, but it makes sense to me!...

Old May 31st, 2000, 08:54 AM
Tamara

Look at the Trip Report posted on May 29, 2000 by Andrea. It is only part 1, but she said she will post part 2 soon. We are also going to RH in November for our honeymoon. Hope this helps. The website is www.xaac.com/playaboard/

Old May 31st, 2000, 04:08 PM
Lisa

I too read about all the bumping going on and began to get nervous as my fiancee and I have never been to the Caribbean at all and are spending a decent amount of money to be pampered for a week and a half at the RH. I called my agent, also at Liberty Travel, and was told that she had never had a problem with her clients being bumped from that particular resort. Obviously, they dont want me to change my mind but she did seem relatively sincere about this. I am going in 26 days!!! (I cant wait!!!) and she didn't seem to think that the end of June would be a problem.

Old Jun 11th, 2000, 08:21 AM
traveller

Haven't been to the Royal Hideaway yet, but we are considering it for next winter---will likely choose the Riu Palace just because of the price difference---the beach & local sites are the same! RE: the 'bumping' issue---this was tried on us by the Riu chain on our first trip with them in DR---we simply told our travel agent that we wouldn't be 'bumped' to another resort & would be in her office Mon. morning to collect our $4,000---needless to say we weren't bumped. At the resort, I & others complained about this to the manager. We (Canadians) got bumped for the European guests apparently because usually in the Dominican Republic the Cdn & Amer. tour operators have a very small % of the room allotments & therefore very little clout when it comes to something like this. In general, stand firm if someone tries to bump you.