Roatan Lodging choices

Old Dec 18th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roatan Lodging choices

Not off to a good start; posted first on Carribean (well I did see a few Honduras questions over there) So here I go again: Planning a getaway - to include snorkeling, fishing, blue water, maybe a few ruins, if any - recomended to us was Barefoot Caye and Mango Creek. We like mid to up scale, owner/managers on site, CLEAN, well kept and great staff. We have traveled quite a bit through Carribean, South Pacific and going to Africa in Sept. Thought Roatan would be interesting and the pics we've see are beautiful. Would love to go anytime Jan-April. Any info really appreciated. Thanks, Cc
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 05:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't mind being isolated, Mango Creek Lodge is really wonderful. The link to their website and to my travelogues with photos are below. I dove with Reef House (they helped me set it up), snorkeling with Randy, an outstanding guide was available whenever we wanted it (no additional cost) and my husband enjoyed flyfishing (guide cost extra). The food and the guides and other staff were very friendly. When we were there in August, 2006 we had dinner every night with the owners and managers, no other guests. I think there are new managers and don't know what the owners' schedule is for being there. Let me know if I can answer more questions.

Happy trails!

http://mangocreeklodge.com/
http://flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so for your pics and reply. It looks so lovely but worried may be too isolated. Is it difficult to tour around the island, or can the lodge arrange it for us? Do they have boats we can use? Though my husband is a huge flyfisher he also enjoys the culture of the area and diving, etc. Looks like that part (diving) is pretty easy in the area. I was drawn to the cabannas; it reminded me of Bora Bora!
I noticed you went in summer. Was it extremely hot and humid, or is there ususally a breeze?
I do not know anyone who has been to Roatan so you are extremely helpful to me.
Thx! Cc
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 05:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The breeze kept things OK for us and the cabaña had a nice fan right over the bed. Lots of gorgeous wood carvings and handmade furniture - the place is really special. I'm sure they could arrange whatever you want but you might consider splitting your time between West End and there so you'd have some opportunity to stroll around, pick your restaurant, shop for souvenirs, etc. There are kayaks to use and they'd boat you around if you wanted. There might be other boats, too, but you'd have to ask. The owners sailed around the world (we loved getting a tour of their boat) and might have smaller sailboats available but you'd have to ask.

We are usually budget travelers by choice, preferring to rent funky houses in villages, but we splurged on Mango Creek for our 25th anniversary because of the flyfishing.

Keep me posted - happy trails!
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hopefulist, thanks again. A/C is definitely not impt to me as long as there is a breeze; we have sailed all over and just depend on the wind!
I am intrigued by Roatan as we have only been to Belize back in '89. No elec, no water, 30mph winds..what a week - but it turned out to be an experience we look back on fondly. Rustic is ok with me, but I did love the over the water lodgings and thought rather romantic (yes, after 30 years I still look for that). If we divided the time (say l0 -12 days) where would you recommend we take the second half. My dh cannot stay in one place for very long, so that was a great piece of advice. I'd like to keep some costs down as we are going to Africa in Sept. and that is quite costly. We have an anniv. so thought Feb. - April would be a good time to get out of the cold and into some warmth. Is it rainy at that time also? Thanks again for helping us out! Cc
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok now that I've read a bit more (I know I am doing this backwards!) I read about Copan Sounds like the place we want to go; so I guess the question is - what is the best way to get there - fly from (we are on East Coast) so I am guessing "DC" to ? then to get to Roatan ? Should we rent a car and see some other places before heading to Roatan? I was thinking about l0 days in all, with at least 4 on Roatan. If there is another beach area that is desirable, we could do another 2 nights, so that would give us 4 in the Copan area. Is that too much? If so, where else would anyone recommend. THANks so much, esp. since everyone is probably consumed with Xmas plans! I'm not - that is why I am planning my next getaway! Cc
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 03:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it was my trip, I'd fly into San Pedro Sula (SAP), shuttle or taxi to the Hedman Alas Station, bus to Copán, and spend at least 3 nights. Here are some links that may be of interest:

http://www.hedmanalas.com/
http://casadecafecopan.com/
http://haciendasanlucas.com/

My travelogue/photo page, linked in the post above, has lots of Copán Ruinas and area photos and ideas.

From there I'd head back to San Pedro Sula and bus or fly to La Ceiba. How about some jungle adventure?! We really loved our stay at Omega Lodge - great adventures, food, guides, grounds. There's a variety of lodging options including beautiful "jungle suites" with private bathrooms.

http://www.omegatours.info/index2.htm

From there it's an easy hop by plane or ferry to Roatán. I'd spend a night or 2 in West End and then finish with 3 or 4 at Mango Creek; they can take you back to the airport so you can fly back to SAP. It's a bit tricky and more expensive, but you could consider an open jaw flight into SAP and out of Roatán (RTB).

Happy trails!
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hopefulist: you are terrific. Thanks so much.I now have plenty of research for the weekend! I will post my final itinerary, but I think it will be what you've recommended. I previously looked over some of your pics and everything looked awesome. Thank you for your contributions! Cc
Old Dec 19th, 2007, 05:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I experienced Roatan 4 yimes. Two times at places w/o A/c. both with 2 large fans and on the water anbd not too high ceilings but 1 time it was 86-90 every night for 4 nights straight in May. No fun and little sleep. Being used to heat but able to get into A/c after a trk is important to us. So, my suggestion is just be ready for the 10-20% for 88 degrees at 10 PM bedtime.
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi StanKese; what time of year did you experience Roatan? That may have something to do with a/c and breezes blowing. Actually where we are looking, Barefoot Caye has a/c, but I'd still be interested in where you were.
Also, what airport do you fly into to get to Roatan. Thanks! cc