Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

road to montverde from Arenal - is it bad?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2003, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, Can someone tell me why this road is bad? Are there like narrow roads on mountainais passes or is it the road that is bad? Is it really worth the trip and what did you do and where did you stay?
We are a family advice please!
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 05:58 AM

It's really only the last 25 kilometers or so from Arenal to Monteverde where the road is really awful. Before that, it's just a matter of being alert and avoiding the potholes. The last part, from Tilaran into Santa Elena and on into Monteverde is one mass of giant potholes and huge rocks sticking up out of the road. It was dry when we were there and wasn't really hard, just very slow going and bumpy. I was glad we had four wheel drive because of the higher clearance. We still laugh about it.

I loved the cloud forest at Monteverde. Everything is green. Different shades of green, but all green. And misty. And beautiful. I would recommend hiring a guide, we did get to see the famous quetzal. After our guided tour we hiked further back into the preserve and it was simply beautiful. And no people.

We stayed at Hotel Belmar, which was ok, but I'd probably try somewhere else next time.

We also toured the butterfly garden while we were there. It was very nice, I don't have much to compare it with. I know there are several in Costa Rica.

Jean
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 06:46 AM

Hi
The road is terrible, but well worth the trip. I can email you a couple of pics to give you an idea if you like. We stayed in Santa Elana at the El Toucan, it is a small place run by locals, clean and cheap.
Greg
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 07:38 PM

A short answer. Yes, the road was v. bad 5 years ago when we were there. If you are going to do the driving, make sure the car is 4 wheel drive. the roads were unpaved and most of all slippery. you are going up the mountainous roads occasionally with goats crossing from one side to the other(i like them),My husband (the driver) thought it was fun. he enjoyed the driving and i enjoyed the bumpy ride. Be careful though.
mohan
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 12:04 PM

My wife and I just got back yesterday from our one week trip to Costa Rica. Monteverde is NOT easy to get to, but definitely worth the trip. It is my second time there in the last 10 years and I love it. However, it is 3-4 hours of hard driving both coming and going. I didn?t find the roads dangerous, just very bumpy and slow going. At times the shape of the roads is almost comical. Also, there are few signs anywhere on the journey.

Overall, I'd say it is part of the experience of going to CR. Don't worry about it too much. I advise going!