Search

Makanda or Si Como No?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Makanda or Si Como No?

Hello All! After reading several hours of posts can you believe I still don't know which resort to choose. My husband and I are going to MA in February for a week & can't decide between these two resorts.

We are in our mid thirties, although not honeymooners we will be trying to get pregnant. I love the romantic sound of Makanda , but my husband gets bored easily so that's why I was thinking of Si Como No. More entertainment around.

We will not be renting a car so proximity to restaurants will be important. Also, I know there's a hike down to the beach, which has the better beach and is closer to get to?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 11:08 AM

I've stayed @ La Mariposa and not either of the two you're researching. Makaranda is closer to the beach. And from what I've read about those two hotels, I'd opt for Makanda. Si Como No is often suggested as a good place for families; and since you'll be going during February (school vacation week ???), then there may be more kids around -- not quite the type of romantic setting you're seeking.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 02:17 PM

We stayed at Makanda for 9 days on our honeymoon in Nov 2001. Absolutely fantastic. The staff is some of the nicest I've ever encountered. The pool is fabulous -- right next to the restaurant (very small -- good food) and they will brind you drinks or food right to your poolside chair and just charge it to your room. The beach is a hike. The hotel is set on a hillside which gives great views, but makes for quite a hike down to the beach. A nice beach - nothing special. The best beaches are in Manueal Antonio park. Breathtaking. We did not rent a car -- walked or cabbed it everywhere. Even walked to MA park and to Quepos -- Makanda is about halfway in between. Quite a workout but well worth it. There is a restaurant not far from Makanda -- La Barba Roja - best nachos ever and great sunsets. The other restaraunt we really enjoyed was El Negro Gato.
There is so much to do in Costa Rica I don't imagine your husband will want to just hang around the hotel. Jorge will help you out planning activites. I highly recommend the canopy tour. We had a blast.
We did go to Si Como No for a couple of meals -- the restaurant is pretty good. there are some great restaurants in Quepos -- one with a fish name (I can't remember) that is downtown. very good.
Sorry this is so long -- just bringing up a lot of good memories. Enjoy your trip!!!
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:04 PM

I guess part of the answer to your question depends on how much you like to walk. The hike up the hill to the 'main road' isn't very long, but it's pretty steep. Walk it several times a day, and your calf muscles will be stronger for it.

Makanda is smaller and more romantic. I liked it that they brought breakfast to your room every morning (after you called and ordered it). The pool is beautiful. Only ate lunch at the restaurant, but it was good, and not as expensive as I might have thought. We stayed in one of the 'cheaper' rooms, a studio vs. one of the villas. Was very nice. It appears that some of the villas are truly open air, as in no windows. While we were there, there was a hatch of some sort of insect that really had the poor woman in the villa upstairs freaked out. So, I'd get one of the air conditioned rooms, even if it isn't that hot.

Si Como No is quite a bit bigger. Two pools, one adults only. Our room there was one step above the standard, gave us a lovely view down the hill from the balcony. It's on the main road, so an easier walk to various restaurants.

We also walked to Manual Antonio Park, quite a hike, but mostly downhill. Definitely wouldn't try and walk back to the hotel. We took the bus. Very cheap and easy.

If you don't mind the hike up the hill, I'd go for Makanda.

Jean
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's help! We've decided on Makanda by the Sea. I think we're making the right decision, now let's hope their not booked! Knowing my luck they probably will be.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 11:47 AM

Just thought I'd post an alternative viewpoint, since my wife and I just got back from the area yesterday.

We stayed 3 nights at Hotel Si Como No in one of their deluxe suites and it was awesome. The staff was wonderful and the restaurant there, ?Claro Que Si?, had excellent food. Our room had a panoramic view of the ocean and the forest with a nice balcony. We also ate dinner at Makanda our last night. The restaurant and the rest of the hotel seemed very romantic, but from I saw it is fairly remote with no views. Without a car, you'll be walking up a steep hill everytime you want to leave the hotel, which will probably be twice a day. You?re surrounded by forest and there are only 11 rooms in the whole hotel. If your idea of honeymoon romance is to be fairly isolated, it would be a good choice. However, 5 nights might leave you a little stir crazy because there is nothing there but a pool and cabins. Having seen both, I would definitely choose Si Como No.