Riviera Maya AI Resort Help Needed!

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Riviera Maya AI Resort Help Needed!

I have been driving myself, not to mention my boyfriend, crazy trying to decide where to stay. So, I thought I'd come to my friends at Fodors.
Here's what we're looking for:
Good beach, good pools, good food & drinks, relaxation, night life, learn to snorkel, few kids, comfortable rooms.
We plan to visit ruins, cenotes, shop, day trips to Coz and maybe Cancun (PDC if we don't stay there). We like to stay at nice places, but we like to be relaxed (not dressed up).
Royal Hideaway is way out of our price range. We are trying to stay under $3000 for room and air.
Thanks for any help!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 09:52 AM

Does it HAVE to be AI? Sounds like you're not going to be hanging around the resort all that much. There are some nice hotels in the area that are not AI. Just a thought.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

I thought we had decided not to do AI, I had even decided on Playa Maya. Then my boyfriend decided he wanted to do an AI. We usually stay at 5* hotels when we vacation in the states, so I thought maybe the AI resorts would be more what we're used to while on vacation. Am I wrong? We know we will still have to pay for some meals away from the resort, but we also plan to spend a lot of time chillin' at the beach/pool.
Thanks for the help
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:06 PM

If you drink a lot or even moderately, AI is the way to go. Your boyfriend made a good decision.

The challenge is finding the one with the best and most varied food. Can't make a resort recommendation, only been to Cancun not Mayan Riviera. I plan to go in September though and will be looking for similar accomodations. Good luck.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Vacation requires at least moderate alcohol consumption! I just want to get the best for our money...we only go on vacation once a year, so I want to make the most of it. We are planning on an early May trip, so I best be making up my mind soon.
Good luck to you too Katolb90!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 01:21 PM

We stayed at Riu Palace Mexico in PDC last March and are returning in a few weeks. You didn't say how many nights you are going for or where you are coming from but the Riu Palace might be in your budget. We really liked the idea of an AI yet we did venture out for a meal and drinks last time. The hotel is very beautiful, the rooms are pretty big, they have liquor dispensers and a mini bar with beer, soda and water in your rooms. The food is very good. The main dining room is a buffet but there are a couple of ala carte restaurants, too. There were very few kids when we were there last time. Here is a link to a website that gives reader reviews that might be helpful: http://www.ramproductions.com/survey/topres.asp. Most people seem to think that it is the best hotel after Royal Hideaway in PDC. We were also considering one of the Iberostar resorts this time but they were all sold out.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 02:12 PM

Steve-You wouldn't be soliciting now would you? That's against Fodor's rules.