Search

Rio Palace vs. Rio Othon

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 1998, 04:53 AM
Melody

Rio Palace vs. Rio Othon

Planning a one-week trip to Rio for February and considering staying at the Rio Palace or the Othon. Which has a better location, service, view, amenities, etc...? Any other suggestions for hotels in Copacabana in that price range? What about the best gourmet restaurants in Rio? I'd appreciate any help. <BR>

Old Nov 28th, 1998, 03:23 PM
vera

both are equal, but othon is less expensive....they are in front of the beach..copacabana....

Old Nov 28th, 1998, 03:23 PM
vera

both are equal, but othon is less expensive....they are in front of the beach..copacabana....

Old Dec 8th, 1998, 08:51 PM
John Ingram

I stayed at the Arpordor Inn, Rua Francisco Otaviano, 177, Ipanema (5521) 523 - 0060. The price is about the same as the two you mentioned but -- This is the only hotel in Rio that is on the ocean (there is only a walkway between the oceanside rooms and the water). The only drawback to oceanside is that the "Ambiance" is sometimes deafening. Book early. The location is 2 two minute walk to the begining of Copacabana. P.S. I encountered few people that spoke English or Spanish. For the most part it was Portugeuse or sign language.

Old Dec 18th, 1998, 02:22 PM
Marcos

I would choose the Othon. Rio Palace has passed by some hard times and, until recently, it was a little worn out. They were doing some modernizations, but I don't know how it is right now. However, if I were you, I would choose a hotel in Ipanema instead of Copacabana. Caesar's Palace, for instance. Ipanema is much trendier. Copacabana is too touristic (in a bad sense). Think about what I said, because I live in Rio. <BR> <BR>Restaurantwise, there is a lot of choices. It depends on the type of food you like. <BR> <BR>Marcos