Search

Rio-mid range hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 09:06 AM
Tim

Rio-mid range hotels

Hi, I'm a 42 year old male traveling alone in Brazil for 6 weeks, leaving March 4. From what I have read, I think that Ipanema is where I should stay in Rio...Hotel San Marco, Hotel Vermont, Arpoador Inn and Ipanema Inn seem to be the recommended hotels in this category. Do you agree? How would you rank these? Is it cheaper to book via travel agent, or can I just walk up or book over the phone directly?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for your replies and advice.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:16 AM
Don

Tim, you can book directly online at:WWW.dontblameitonrio4travel.com or www.ipanema.com. I know where the ipanema inn is, right behind the Ceasar Park 1/2 block from the beach, good locale. I used WWW.dontblameitonrio4travel.com for my next trip and have used them in the past, no problem. They have an office in Rio, if there is a problem just go see them. Since your timeframe is after Carnivale you should have no problem.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 11:29 AM
Sandy

Don,<BR><BR>I could not get that site to work . . . could you check the address and repost??<BR><BR>Gracias,<BR>Sandy

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 12:18 PM
Don

Sandy, I must have been thinking about the movie, my mistake, the correct URL is:www.blameitonrio4travel.com. Try it again.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 01:21 PM
Tim

Thanks Don. Do you know the other hotels that i mentioned?

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 02:33 PM
Don

Tim, I usually stay in Copacabana, I know many people on this board prefer Ipanema but I find that Im usaully at Copa in the evening and I would prefer to walk to my hotel. The 3 hotels I stay at I will list below. I have seen the Arpoador Inn and it seems to be nice. The hotels I will list are all in Copacabana within 2 blocks of each other on the beach. The debret is 3 star the other 2 are 4 star. The Debret is about $60 a day while the other 2 are about $100 a day for a standard room. Everybody's tatses are different, I prefer the lively scene in Copacabana, including the outdoor cafes on ave atlantica. It is true that Ipanema is more higher class and reserved but it's not far from Copa when you need a break. <BR><BR> Miramar Palace Hotel<BR>Av. Atl&acirc;ntica, 3668 Copacabana<BR>22070-001 Rio de Janeiro - RJ<BR>Phone: (55) (21) 2521-1122<BR>Fax: (55) (21) 2521-3294<BR><BR>Hotel Debret<BR>Av. Atl&acirc;ntica, 3564 - Copacabana<BR>Rio de Janeiro, RJ 22070-001 Brazil<BR>Phone: 55-21-2522-0132 Fax: 55-21-2521-0899<BR><BR>Luxor Regente Hotel<BR>Av. Atl&acirc;ntica, 3716 - Copacabana<BR>Rio de Janeiro, RJ 22070-001 Brasil<BR>Tel: (5521) 525-2070 Fax: (5521) 267-7693 <BR>DDD gratuito: 0800-16-5322<BR>

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 08:27 PM
Sara

Tim I hope you enjoy Rio. Ipanema would be my choice or even Leblon for places to stay. One piece of advise. If you do go to Copacabana stay away from a disco called Help. It is a known prostitution pick up place. Also do not go walking on the beach at night, you will get mugged. Take a cheap watch and leave all jewelry behind. Have a good trip.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 08:50 AM
Sandy

Thanks Don, that 2nd site worked . . . I'm going to go check it out now.<BR><BR>Sandy

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:44 AM
Tania

Hi Tim. Arpoador is the small part of the beach between Copacabana and Ipanema (would say it is the beg.of Ipanema). I passed many times in front of this hotel - it costs aroud 150 reais (US$ 62) it seems a good price. If you want to save money, there are other economic hotels 2,3,4* that are located not in the main avenue/not in front of the sea, around 1-3 blocks from the beach, streets such as Avenida Nossa Senhora de Copacabana, Rua Barata Ribero, Rua Siqueira Campos, etc.. cheaper than the ocean view hotels(also, you can always ask for the Tourist Information Office at the airport as you get there). The prices must be lower now that the Carnival is over - for example: I just came back from Rio and had a R$ 150 daily rate for a double room in a hotel in Rua Siqueira Campos 4*. Have a nice trip here in Brazil !

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Tim

Thanks so much Tania. I am indeed looking to save money so that I have more to spend on fun things in Rio. I don't need to be on beachfront. I was quoted a US$40 for single room at Hotel San Marco which is on rua visconde de piraja. Do you know this hotel?

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Surlok

Tim,<BR><BR>As I live in Rio, I don't know San Marco hotel rooms. The lobby is pretty basic, but the location is fabulous, you'll have everything walking distance, from the most expensive boutiques and jelwelries, as H. Stern and Antonio Bernardo, our best jelwelry designer, to Lojas Americanas, our WalMart, Zona Sul, a wonderful super market, as well many restaurants, pharmacies, and everything you might need. The beach will be about two blocks from the hotel. However, Visconde de Piraja is the busiest street in Ipanema, so, try to get a room on a higher floor, or on the back, as I don't believe that San Marco windows are double glazed.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Surlok

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Anders

Hi Tim ...<BR><BR>I have been to Rio twice and I stayed in Ipanema both times. In April 2000 I stayed at Ipanema inn. It's nice and has quite a nice breakfast buffe and the hotel is just half a block from the beach. I remember one could borrow a clean towel for free at the hotel reception when going to the beach and then returning it when coming back. That was a nice feature.<BR><BR>My second time in Rio I stayed at Hotel Vermont. I think the room I got there was nicer than the one I had at Ipanema inn. Cleaner I guess, although Ipanema inn wasn't bad. I think Vermont seems a little bit nicer though as I remember it although their brekfast buffe was somewhat smaller. But their dining was much nicer. The main drawback is that Vermont is about 2-3 blocks from the beach. And as Surlok wrote, make sure not to get a room with a view over Visconde de Piraja. You will not be able to sleep unless you got ear defenders. By the way, bring ear defenders anyway as the air condition device may make a lot of noise.<BR><BR>If you will spend a lot of time swimming and sunbathing, then just forget Leblon. From what I have read that beach is polluted.<BR><BR>Maybe we meet in Rio because I will go there again the 27th of February and stay until the 9th of March. This time though I will stay in Flamengo at hotel Imperial. Have a nice trip.<BR><BR>Anders in Sweden<BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Tim

Thanks for all of your advice.