Search

rio during carnival

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 08:01 AM
john

rio during carnival

two of my buddies and i are headed to rio for carnival. we're staying at hotel debret. any word on the hotel? what to expect? is carnival all it's cracked up to be? appreciate any and all responses.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 07:50 PM
Surlok

Hotel Debret is nearly at the corner of Av. Atlantica, the sea side avenue by Copacabana beach. It's a little shabby. Copacabana is lively, although not what it was once.<BR><BR>There are gay clubs and a disco with a lot of prostitutes close by, called Help, and also lots of street vendors almost in front of the hotel, selling whatever you might want.<BR><BR>There are, however, very nice hotels at Copacabana beach, like the Copacabana Palace, Rio's best hotel, and other nice 5 and 4 stars.<BR><BR>The Carnival n Rio is mostly the Samba Schools Parade. It's spectacular and the rhthym is contagious. Besides this big parade, there are the popular street parades, like the Miguel Lemos Band, the Ipanema band and some others, where people wear costumes, or just a funny heat and make up, or a transvestite costume, and go dancing and singing along with these bands, It's quite fun. <BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S<BR><BR>PS: for more info on Rio, see:<BR><BR>http://www.ipanema.com

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Tammy

Surlok is exactly right about Carnival in Rio being all about the Samba Schools Parade. I went in '98. The night we went to the parade it started about 8pm and we left during the last Samba school and watched the sun come up on Impanema beach. In the stands, everyone is partying and dancing with the Samba schools. Definitely go ahead and get tickets now if you can.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 11:11 PM
Evelyn

Hello!<BR>I am Evelyn, a german 26 years old girl living in Germany.<BR>My mother was born in Brazil and as I still have a lot of relatives living there and many friends too I love this country a lot and have been travelling there 14 times!<BR>As my favourite city is Rio de janeiro I sure can give you advice in many things about Rio:<BR>what to see there,how to get around,restaurants, and sure many things about Carnival there ...etc...<BR>If you want, please write me an E Mail to :<BR>[email protected]<BR>If you need more information about anything there feel free to ask.<BR>Okay, if anyone else is wondering about Brazil, I will be glad to help you out!<BR>Greetings and beijos<BR>Evelyn<BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 07:18 AM
jade

hi,<BR><BR>I've just arrived from Rio where I've stayed for 3 weeks. You should avoid copacabana, it's awful.<BR>I'm sure you gonna have a niiiice time in Rio, the city is so beautiful.<BR>Ilha Grande and Buzios are amazing but you can't miss Petropolis (imperial city), Paraty (colonial city), Maua and Sana(on the mountains). If you stay for a while in Rio the city, you should contact the Carioca Hostel, a new hostel with cool people from all over the world. The hostel is brand new and it's like a "Pousada". They have internet acess, swimming pool, bikes and the young people who runs it are so friendly and helpful.<BR>You gonna love the place and Rio de Janeiro.<BR>their email is: [email protected]<BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>