Search

Recent Arenal activity

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recent Arenal activity

Will be leaving on first trip to Costa Rica in two weeks. Would like to hear from recent travellers to Arenal as to levels of activity, visibility, etc. Thanks!
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 11:30 AM

I was there in Feb & it was foggy the 3 days we were there. We didn't see any activity from the Tabacon Resort. We did hike around the volcano & it was great but still couldn't see the top from there either.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:22 AM

We were there the second week in March '05 and we saw the top for about 5 minutes during the morning. We did have a great view from out Arenal Pariaso hotel. It didn't seem like much was going on, just some smoldering and dust. It is a truely beautiful place though.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 09:19 AM

I guess we were lucky. We arrived in Arenal on 6 Feb. about 1PM. We could see lava rolling down the sides accompanied by puffs of smoke. By 5PM the clouds rolled in and that was the last time we saw it. We did catch a glimpse of it on the 8th on our way to Monteverde. We also stayed at the Paraiso. Good breakfast, lousy dinners.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 09:54 AM

Hi. We just got back from C. Rica. We were at Tabacon March 16 and 17. We were incredibly lucky - we saw the top almost the entire time we were there. It seemed to plume about every 15 minutes and even rumbled every once in awhile. We saw no lava from our side. We did talk to someone who was on the south side (towards the lake) who saw a lot of lava. He said that it seems the lava flow is changing direction and occuring more on the other side. Don't know how true that is. Tabacon is a beautiful place.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 04:24 PM

chuckster
i have a question for you about driving to arenal/tabacon from the airport the day of our flight. our flight arrives at 11:50 am. Can we make it safely/comfortably to arenal that day?
nuance
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:31 PM

Just in case chuckster doesn't see your post--yep, you can make it easily with your arrival time! We've arrived at 2:00 an made it before dark before.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 08:42 PM

We were there the last 2 weeks of February, and saw absolutely nothing of Arenal. It was shrouded in fog the entire time.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 02:45 AM

Shillmac advised us that if we arrived by 2 we could get there by dark. We did arrive at 2 but where in line for immigration for over an hour. We then got our car which went suprisingly fast and arrived in Fortuna just at dark. We found our hotel with no problem. The roads around Arenal were in pretty good shape. We had a great trip, and I want to thank Shillmac for all of the helpful advise! You were right on target. Thanks!
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Just saw this. Sorry! Yes, as Shillmac said. We arrived in SJO at 2:00, got our car, and arrived just at dusk. Cut it a bit close. So you'll be fine. I for sure would not drive these roads at night. We took the San Ramon route. Took us about 2 1/2 hours. The roads are great - paved and well marked. Just very windy with many tour buses careening down!
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 06:12 AM

Stayed at Montana de Fuego on March 5, great view of Volcan Arenal. The top was shrouded in mist but was very impressive anyway (we had gone with the idea that we probably wouldn't see it). We did a boat tour on the lake the next day and the clouds lifted, but no lava. Glad we went anyway.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:17 PM

So, recent visitors, is the lava flow shifted back over to the observatory side, or is it visible on both ides?
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:42 PM

We were at the Observatory Lodge March 20, 21 and saw a little lava both nights, More like lava balls coming down one side but it was neat. The volcano would be covered in clouds but would clear around 1:30-3:00 am, maybe people are sleeping through so they're missing it. We were at Los Lagos March 22 , had reserved there solely for the chance to see lava after reading that was the side to be on for it, and saw nothing and the volcanoe was clear.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 05:03 AM

Jentom98 - Thanks. I am torn between the two places you stayed. Have reservations at Los Lagos for June since we absolutely wanted the kids, 15 & 13, to see the lava if the clouds ever cleared. But had originally picked the Observatory Lodge, thought it was cool and my kids would like it. Now of course who knows. Your thoughts on the 2 sites?
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Thanks tbelgian, appreciate your kind words. Glad you made it before dark! Were you aware of driving though the cloud forest part of the time?
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:34 PM

We stayed at the Observatory Lodge for a night and Arenal Paraiso for a night. I would recommend both places. The Observatory Lodge was quite the experience. I can't describe what it was like being woken in the middle of the night to the sounds of volcano rumblings. We were able to see some lava flow at night from the Observatory-sprays in the air, and rolling down the side of the mountain. It was fab! We were also lucky enough to see lava flow the entire night from Paraiso. In three days, the view of the volcano was only restricted for about 30 minutes! We must have been very lucky. I will keep my fingers crossed that you will be as lucky.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 09:58 PM

4explore---I really liked the Observatory Lodge alot. It feels quieter, more peaceful. Los Lagos felt more "exposed" and busier.You can't beat the view from a Smithsonian room at the Observatory. I think you're closer to the volcano on that side and you can hear rumbling. Seeing the lava there was icing on the cake because we didnt expect to. You would be eating all your meals there because it is pretty far from other restaurants, however the food is very good, dinners were excellent, the view of the lake and volcano fantastic. A free morning hike with a guide is included and you hike through the jungle to some old lava, the guide points out animals and birds along the way that you would surely miss without him. You can hear the boulders rumbling down the volcanoe, kind of spooky . The waterfall hike takes maybe 20 minutes to walk to and you can take a dip in the pools. From the other side it's a lot longer. Sky Trek and Hanging Bridges are very close. 2 days there was good. My kids ( 13 year old twins) were split, one liked Observatory better, the other Los Lagos because of the water slide.I can't give Los lagos a fair review because we were so rushed there , didnt have time to settle in, didn't get to check out all the pools,or trails, but I liked the overall feel of Observatory better. Los lagos may be more conveniently located. Hope that helps or does it make it more difficult?
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:44 AM

Thanks so much for the added details and your overall impressions. I always preferred the Observatory but then everyone said "wrong side!" We have hired a driver so the distance from things doesn't bother me as much. Thanks again.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 05:49 PM

Hi! We were there last week, and stayed at Lost Iguana next to the dam. We saw the top of the volcano in the middle of one night, at sunrise one morning, and multiple times during the days. So, I guess we were lucky. We could hear the rumbles, and see the occasional drip of lava down one side. From one I heard from others (that there hasn't been much volcanic activity in years), and saw myself, don't expect to see too much. It was mostly just a constant stream of smoke. I posted a link to a couple of my pictures from our porch on another thread, as well as my LONG trip report.

But, if you have any other questions, I'll try to help at [email protected]

Enjoy your trip!!