Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Rainforest in Peru: Iquitos, Puerto Maldonado -- what's the diff?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These two places seem to be the major jumping off points for rainforest adventures in Peru.

If I could only pick one, and given that I would like to stay in a *relatively* confortable lodge (something with privacy, good mosquito netting, great trails, informed guides and good food)which one should I pick?

In other words, what is the difference between these two places, their accomodation options and the viewing they have to offer?
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:37 PM

The decision might be something as basic as where else you plan to be in Peru. If you're going to do Cusco and Machu Picchu, then you're close to the southern Amazon. It's just a half hour flight to Puerto Maldonado from Cusco. Or if you want to visit the Manu Biosphere Reserve, those excursions begin in Cusco rather than Puerto Maldonado. You'd have to backtrack to Lima to catch a flight to Iquitos.

I know the southern Amazon better than the north, but you can't go wrong with either. You'll find comfortable lodges in both places. (Considering the isolation, there's a limit to the comfort, but you'll be surprised at how much they can provide.)

Tourism is more developed out of Iquitos. There's just more to choose from in the northern Amazon. There are lodges within an hour of Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado. But to really optimize your chance for wildlife viewing, you'd want to stay at one of the more remote lodges, farther away from their respective jump-off cities.

Of the two cities, Iquitos is much more interesting, and worth lingering around for a day or so. But hardly anyone stays in Puerto Maldonado. They get off the plane and head right for the boat that takes them to their lodge.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:34 PM

Hi RachelleButternut,

Peru offers a number of amazon destinations for wildlife and flora, the most popular being Manu (just over the mountains from Cusco), Tambopata (the jungle town of Puerto Maldonado in SE Peru), and Iquitos, in northeast Peru on the Amazon river.

These places all have a great variety of wildlife, in general monkeys, birds, river snakes, butterflies. Specific wildlife can be found at particular destinations, as not all destinations in the rainforest have the same animals and plants.

Lodges in Puerto Maldonado that are really good: Sandoval Lake Lodge, and Heath Wildlife Center.

Places around Iquitos are: Yarapa (part of the Cornell University Research Station), and Tahuayo Lodge (in the Tamshiyacu-Tahuayo Reserve). And the new Pacaya Lodge that has camping access to the Pacaya-Samiria National Reserve.

Manu has the Manu Wildlife Center, consider by many as the prime destination in the amazon for wildlife.

Tampobata, a great place to see giant otters and macaws.
For a short trip Sandoval lake Lodge and the new Caiman Lodge are great choices. With 5-8 days you can get to more remote areas. A great place is the Heath River area (river that is the border of Peru-Bolivia).

For Iquitos it is best to have at least 5 days, as the better wildlife areas are about 6+hours by boat each way from Iquitos (places like Tahuayo, Yarapa and Pacaya). New trips are now possible to the Pacaya Samiria Reserve, the largest protected reserve in Peru (even camping trips combined with a budget lodge).

Manu, Iquitos and Tambopata have a great variety of wildlife, birds and a good number of monkeys.
Tambopata is known for giant otters and macaw clay licks (like one at the Heath River).
Iquitos is famous for pink dolphins and the rare Uakari monkey (red-faced monkey).
Manu for tapirs, otters, macaws, and nearly a score of monkey species.

A new accessible destination in the Iquitos area that has excellent wildlife is a place on the Maranon River (150 miles west of Iquitos, the Maranon becomes the Amazon River). This is an area bordering the upper Pacaya Reserve, and has very little (if any!) tourist visitors. The folks at peruperu.com can get you info on what it takes to get there.

To help with your research, check out www.naturelodges.com
And www.peruperu.com

Have a great trip!
Davarian

Old May 20th, 2005, 06:31 PM
nbarrett29

Davarian--In regard to lodges in the Iquitos area, are you familiar with the Explorama Lodges and how they might compare to those you've recommended? Thanks!

Old May 20th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Amy

I'm not Davarian but I wanted to say that I found Explorama to be excellent on a five day trip there in August; in fact, I'm trying to figure how to get back there again before too long. The guides are excellent, accommodations nicely kept up, and food good.

If you'd like to see a few pictures, copy and paste http://community.webshots.com/user/missalg and go down to the Peru/Amazon album. Happy trails!
Old May 22nd, 2005, 09:49 AM

Hi,

I agree with Amy, Explorama Lodges are very good places.

they are a bit too touristy for me, but that is not a negative.

davarian
Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:37 PM

Hi,
I have been all over both these places. I prefer Iquitos (and yes, all the Explorama Lodges are excellent) for cultural experiences with local tribes, and people who live along the river. These experiences were lifechanging to me. The Canopy walkway was fascinating as well. I prefer Puerto Maldonado and Tambopata Research Center for the wildlife - the Macaw Clay Lick is like nothing you will ever experience again. Truthfully, your not going to see a ton of willife at either place other than birds and a few distant monkeys, unless you go to Manu, althougth I was lucky enough to spot a Jaguar in Puerto Maldonado on the way back from the Tambopata Research Center a few years ago walking down the river. TRC is very rustic however compared to the Explorama Lodges. WASAI is another good choice in Puerto for a shorter trip and has a smaller Macaw Clay lick. For a 3 day or less adventure, try the Posada. In Iquitos I would definatly stick with Explorama. They have been there forever, was started by an American but turned over to his Peruvian staff (and wife) and the people couldn't be any nicer. You can email me direct at [email protected] if you like.
Best of luck!
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 09:02 PM

Just returned from 2 weeks in Peru. We couldn't make up our minds about Iquitos or Puerto Mald. so we did both. The areas offer different experiences so we were glad to see both. We went up the Heath River (from Puerto Mal. and stayed at the Heath River jungle lodge. It was great. On the boat ride up saw a jaguar, capybara, many caiman. The place is on the rustic side with mosquito nets over the bed, but the private bungalow had a hot shower, candle light and comfy beds. Food was fresh and good. Really liked the clay lick.
We went to Sandoval for one night which is good because it's much closer to Puerto Mald to you don't have far to return. ALso, it's a beautiful lake with amazing birds, monkeys, river otters.

Next we went through the Sacred valley. Stayed at a real find in Cusco called Torre Dorada. It's a little out of the central downtown area but no problem getting to and from (and the hotel owner graciously pays cab fares.) It was a great family run place where the owner, Peggy, is a friend away from home, and helps you in all the little ways that make for an easier trip.
Went through the Sacred Valley adn stayed in Ollantaytambo at Pakaritampu which is lovely and a great place to stay before heading up to Macchu Pichu. Went to Salinas (salt mines) and Maras as a day trip from here. We hired a driver for the day (around $35 for the day) so could come and go as we pleased.
Went to Machu Picchu for 2 days. Stayed in Aguas Calientes at Machu Picchu Pueblo Inn which I thought was pretty over-rated. It did include a great dinner and breakfast but the rooms were musty and pretty basic, and way too much for what they charged . They also charge $50 for a sauna (that's downright exorbitant by Peru standards.)

We liked having 2 days at Machu Picchu. lst day you can take a group tour to get a good overview of this phenomenal site. 2nd day we got there early (8:30) for the Winay (sp?)Picchu climb which is a bit tough but doable and so worth the effort.

Stayed again at Ollanta. and then headed back to Cusco for a flight to Iquitos. Went with Explorama up the Amazon to Ceiba Tops. Had some doubts if we were going to miss the "real" jungle experience by staying at a jungle "resort", but were really glad to stay here. It's pretty low key and you are in the middle of the jungle (you can hike all over).
There is something very soothing about taking a warm shower after a day trekking around the jungle. The food here was very good also. The owner, Peter, is somewhat of a legend and we enjoyed hearing some of his tales.

Ok, just thought I'd throw my info. into the mix since I found this site so useful before my trip.

Good luck to all future travellers. This is a very special place with rich history and stunning landscapes.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 10:55 AM

I really enjoyed reading your report. We did a similar trip, staying at most of the same places, alittle over a year ago, except we did not go to Iquitos. I am so jealous of your jaquar sighting. You are very lucky indeed! Many locals and our guide had never even seen a jaguar. While staying at Heath, on my 50th no less, we saw about 100 some peccari at the mammal clay lick. Good present!

We did like Machu Picchu Pueblo though. No musty smell problems. Our room was also far from basic. They must have a varity of rooms. We had a triple room though. It was really like a whole house with a loft, living room and an amazing bathroom. I think having a triple made the cost more feasible too. While it was expensive, our agent kept trying to tell us to stay somewhere else, all of the added food and free nature activities made it seem like a good deal to us. Besides the amazing hummingbirds, we even got to see the Cock of the Rock. Thanks for the report, it makes me want to go back...
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 01:30 PM

We just returned today from 10 days in Peru, 5 days in Buenos Aires and 2 days in Iguazu. I just wanted to throw in the name of the lodge we stayed in in the Tambopata area. It was the Libertador Tambopata. They have very nice individual cottages, all completely mosquito netted, with additional mosquito nets over the beds (my kids used, I did not). It's a beautiful place, good food, good guides and we saw lots of animals...cayman, capibaras, howler monkeys, night monkeys, many birds, toads, tree rats, etc. I would recommend it. It's about a 2-3 hour river boat trip from Puerto Maldonado.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 06:25 AM

A year ago we stayed at the Macchu Pichu Pueblo hotel and I agree it was great. I would recommend to stay in the town as it is quite fascinating. As far as Amazon experiencies, we ended up in Iquitos and it was a very intersting frontier town. We then headed up to the jungle and after about two hours the wildlife did become very spectacular. We really loved this part of our trip.

I ended up selecting Iquitos because when we had to go it was December/ January and there was a real possibility of being rained out of other venues.