Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Is this mother of the groom nuts to plan the honeymoon as a surprise?

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have used this forum to plan many fantastic vacations. Our son and future daughter-in-law thought it would be fun for us to plan the trip and surprise them! They want warm, tropical, white sand, and beautiful accomdations. Any thoughts for a perfect honeymoon location? Turtle Inn?
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:31 PM

I don't have any places to suggest, but wanted to share that my husband planned our honeymoon as a surprise for me, and I did not know where we were going until we were on the plane, and they announced "welcome to flight # to Rio de Janeiro!"

When I went to get my visa, the man asked me where I was going, and I had to say I didn't know. He called my fiance at work to find out, as it mattered for the photo size, and then he covered up visa while I signed it, so I could not see where I was going! I don't think that could happen today!!

We went to Rio, Buzios, Salvador and Itaparica. In Buzios, Pousada Casas Brancas was wonderful, and it looks like it still is today (we were there 20 years ago) not directly on the beach, but many beautiful beaches to go to.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:12 PM

What a great story, skatedancer. Great fun! And momincy, are you paying as well? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me! Enjoy the planning!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Nice idea, and great kids to ask you to do this...I do hear mixed things about the Turtle Inn...
Now, if it were me, I'd be happy if someone sent me to Maroma, or La Casa que Canta-- both in Mexico --
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:13 PM

Wow! They ASKED you? If my MIL had planned my honeymoon I would have thought she was a contollling old you know what. I personally wouldn't surprise them. I'd help if asked - narrow if down to a couple of locations, narrow it down to a couple of hotels/resorts, then let them make the final choices; send them off with a list of recommended restaurants, etc. But I would never make the desisions myself.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 01:52 PM

Frankie, Do share...what negative do you hear about Turtle Inn? After much searching, I thought it might be "it"!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Only negative at TI is that they don't have ac, but other than that, it gets rave responses from guests. Great mgmt, very well done, ambiance, perfect for a honeymoon, go for the seafront cottages.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 03:51 PM

there are some not so great reviews on tripadvisor.com. Mostly good reviews, but I was interested in it myself, and after reading through them, wasn't quite as excited about it.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 05:53 PM

I, personally, love Belize. Warm, tropical, beautiful accomodations, yes. But I've been to Ambergris, Caulker, Hopkins and Placencia and there is no white sand. So if that is the ideal, then Belize is not for them. Just being realistic - if they are expecting white sand like a Sandals ad or a St. John postcard, then no. If they are adventurous, laid-back and enjoy experiencing other friendly cultures, then go for it.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 07:55 AM

Momincy. Have you been to Belize? If not, it may not be what they are looking for. To me, Belize was awesome, but it was an adventure filled with tubing, caving, diving, snorkeling, fishing, etc., where my honeymoon consisted of white sand beaches that were all inclusive and didn't have a care in the world. Belize really doesn't have this, in my opinion.