Questions on wintering in Panama

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 10:26 PM
Kathy

Questions on wintering in Panama

I'm considering spending 2-3 months in Panama this winter. Would Boquete be a good "base" from which to take side trips, perhaps rent some accommodation, a good place to live in between exploring the country? Any and all advice will be appreciated--what to see, do, etc. Thanks!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 11:58 AM
josie

I lived in Panama for almost two years in the late 90's and took a wonderful trip to Bouquete. It is a beautiful town and far from the Darien As far as I can remember it took us aroun six hours to travel from Panama city to Boquete, though my memory may be fuzzy on travel time. Quite honestly I think it would be a great base area, putting you at the extreme end of Panama you can easily travel Panama and Costa Rica to your hearts content. There are some great places to eat in Boquete and the people were wonderfullyfriendly. My favorite side trip in Panama was Isle Taboga, a beautiful island just a short ferry ride from Panama City. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Kathy

Hi Josie....Thanks so much for your most helpful information. You really confirm the idea of Boquete for a base.
And I sure will check out Isle Taboga.
Anyone else have additional ideas?

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Kat

I was born and raised in Panama, so much for my bona fides.

First, if you're going in the winter months, be aware that is Panama's Dry Season which is THE BEST TIME to be in the tropics. So you might want to spend a month in the highlands (that is Boquete area) but you don't want be there the entire three months. Why? Because the beaches, lowlands and jungles are marvelous at that time of year. Continuous cooling breezes, fabulous beaches, etc.

Beaches on the Caribbean side of Panama (Bocas del Toro, somewhat "close" to Boquete) are the prettiest with typically clear Carib waters. Also on the Caribbean side is Fort San Lorenzo -- an old Spanish fort that is both historical and lovely -- don't miss it.

On the Pacific coast the best beaches are: Coronado, Gorgona and Santa Clara. Also on the Pacific side is the incredible rainforest preserve at what used to be near Summit Gardens but now, I think, is known as the Soberante Preserve.

Transiting the canal is definitely worth the time and money.

The trans Isthmus train is running again so you'll HAVE to do that. It only takes a couple of hours.

Taboga is a great day trip. Another "island" journey, for more than one day, is Las Perlas in the Gulf of Panama (Pacific side) -- stunning place.

I'd say -- no, no way, do want to spend your entire time in Boquete (I spent many summers in that area).

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Kathy

Kat.....Thanks SO very much for your info. No, I didn't plan to be in Boquete for my entire time in Panama, maybe as a place to go to after Panama City? It sounds like there are tons of interesting places to explore, tho I don't want to live out of a suitcase. I'm going to print yours and Josie's recommended places to visit; also I'm open to other ideas. For instance, on arriving in Panama City, how long might I want to stay in the city and check it out along with taking trips to areas near the city? What about renting something in Boquete and having it to return to? I'm just in the beginning stages of planning, as you probably guessed. Again, thanks.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Kathy

Hello........Anyone else with ideas about Panama? Thanks!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 03:20 PM
David N Cook

Kat, since you are from Panama, I wonder if you can help me. I was born in the CZ in 1947 at a place called Coco Solo (Naval Hospital); I believe this is on the Atlantic side? Is it still there and called the same thing? Of course I want to visit, I have been to Costa Rica several times and I kick myself for not taking the side trip to see Panama. Thanks for any advice you can give. Feel free to e-mail me at the above address.