Search

PV downtown trip report

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2023, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
PV downtown trip report

Here's a copy/paste of my Puerto Vallarta trip report from November 6 to16, 2023 (as posted on Trip Advisor).OK, here goes. I did not post day by day when I was in town but have a few things that I would like to pass on and share with the forum for folks heading to Zona Romantica sometime soon...

Nautilus, Olas Altas #402 been around 'forever'. They have both postcard and the stamps to go with them. Mailed at the international box in front of the Tourist Bureau in Centro.

Best meals were Joe Jack's with the seared fresh tuna on the Nicoise salad (menu offers mahi mahi or shrimp, you can ask or waiter might offer the tuna option). Cafe de Olla for shrimp fajitas. So generous made two meals.

My celebration birthday meal was at Archie's Wok. The tempura calamari and a 'catch of the day' grilled fish over fresh veg stir-fly. And yes the waiters and others around me made a fuss knowing it was a special occasion. So thanks Archie's Wok. Never disappoints.

New to me was Los Molcajetes on the entire south/west corner at I. Vallarta and B. Badillo. Doing a nice grill of pretty much everything, serviceable bar, coffee patio out back. Had a burrito to-go midday, and a drink at the bar while I waited. Nice atmosphere, fresh food.

Most exciting event was the Tribute to Rock & Disco with 6 DJs in Lazaro Cardenas plaza on Sunday night the 12th. Nothing like 1000 people (mostly local) dancin' in the street. Fog machines, lights in the sky. Very exciting.

Last but not least that the Catrinas were still up on the Malecon. I took my time and got a shot of each one of them.

Changed money both at the booth at the top of the Malecon near Rosita, and a new to me one convenient on the east side of I. Vallarta, bright green can't miss it. Rates were at 15.60, 15.80, 16.00 on various days.

Zumba class 8am in Lazaro Cardenas plaza another highlight for me (class is 50p). Same location as both the rock-fest and Zumba is where the Farmers Market happens. One busy plaza. The Olas Altas Farmers Market is a highlight of every trip. Do not miss it if you have a Saturday morning in town.

Page in the Sun and the gallery next door were alive and well. I mention this especially because I'd seen some questions about it. Same with La Galette (formerly Paris Cafe) location. Closed twice when I walked by. Open the next time. At 9:15am quiche was in the oven due out in 1 hour.

Did not have the right timing for meals, but stopped in to see the new Daiquiri Dick's and Casa Nicole - mostly wondered how they'd each done their recent remodels. Both looking very sleek and upscale with gorgeous welcoming staff up front.

Eulo's (formerly Yarita) was a solid bakery stop and has expanded their selection. Still all the traditional Mexican pastries in the usual style, but also a larger range including lighter pastries and cake slices. The pineapple and strawberry empanadas were always on the wrong tray reversed to the signs.

Sharing my experiences and hoping some might find some part of them helpful

If anyone is going soon, happy to run thru the current airport arrivals process, money change, transportation, lodging, meal prices, etc.
Susana
Old Nov 26th, 2023, 07:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like you had a great birthday trip. I'm always interested in how friends/family react when someone re-visits the same place frequently. Do you get 'blow back' wondering why PV so often??

Totally different vibe of course -- but I visit London at least twice a year - a lot of people can't conceive of going to the same place over and over and invariably I get "Oh, do you have family there?" . . . No one would even think of asking that if I was visiting say Orlando or Anaheim twice a year.

If you love it you love it -- don't need no bleedin' relatives

I've not been to PV but have been to Ensenada a few times and the 'Mexico snobs' always seem to sneer (so I don't post about it)
Old Nov 27th, 2023, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Do you get 'blow back' wondering why PV so often??

Only on internet travel forums is where I have ever been made fun of for my travel choices.

My family understands why I love it there. Well actually my parents worry about "Mexico" (violence, cartels, news) but my sister has traveled to Vallarta with me a few times over the years, so she gets it. And most of my friends here in Seattle have been PV afficianados at one time or other.

I don't post much here either on Fodor's because of the negative push-back about my choices.

When I was in my working days, no one even wondered, when I put in for vacation time the boss just said "Mexico again?"

What's wrong with having a "second home" feeling in another city?

suze

Old Nov 30th, 2023, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been to PV a few times and stayed there for a month by myself- with visits from friends and daughter. I love PV too and thing about going to the same place is that you develop a comfort level and that feels good.
I once met a Mexican man who had traveled the world but always comes back to PV. It’s his favorite city in the world.
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

I have a pretty much non-existent level lately of needing to explain what I like best (ha-ha) to certain individuals on a travel forum when questioned! Though I will get on my soap box that all of "Mexico" is not some crazy dangerous place (like from some conservative co-workers used to ask, wasn't I afraid to travel there especially by myself).
For me going to Puerto Vallarta is not 'traveling the world' I know that. Do people who own 2nd homes get flack for going to the same second place every year? It's a home-away-from-home not some huge in depth exploration of the country of Mexico.

Old Dec 5th, 2023, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Well this post got seriously edited. But if anyone has questions about Puerto Vallarta, I am happy to answer posts here or send a PM.