Search

Punta Islita

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Punta Islita

I am going on a trip with my 22 year old daughter next month. We're considering staying at Punta Islita for 4 nights. I'm wondering if it's too much of a honeymoon place and/or too isolated. Any thoughts? An alternative would be Harmony House.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 03:26 PM

What exactly are you hoping to do on your vacation? If it's strictly beach time I guess it would be okay, but it is kind of isolated.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Ideally we'd be in a resort on the beach near a national park to explore & view wildlife. It would also be nice to be near a town which would offer other restaurants, etc. We will be arriving after 3 days in Tortuguero. We've been to Arenal, MA, Tamarindo and cloud forest on a previous trip so wanted to try a different area. Have been told that at this time of year (Sept 30) it's too rainy south of MA.

Thanks.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 04:35 AM

Have you thought about dropping down to Puerto Viejo and staying on the Caribbean side? September is the driest month of the year in that area and the perfect time to visit.

There is not a large resort, hopefully never will be, but there are some great smaller hotels (check out the Tree House!), excellent restaurants, pretty beaches, Cahuita National Park, and, if you are interested, an outstanding guide in Abel Bustamante. Go out with him for a morning or a day and you'll see all the wildlife you want--he knows where to go, speaks excellent English. Some of us here on the board can provide his e-mail and phone number.

Also, you can venture from Puerto Viejo to the southernmost town of Manzanillo by bicycle (about 12 km). We love riding bikes all over the area.

From what you have described, the south Caribbean sounds like a perfect fit. And if you thought you'd ever like to check out this part of Costa Rica (sounds like you've seen most of the rest), now is the time to do it, weather wise.

Good luck. . hope this helps!
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Sounds like a great idea. This will give us a whole new direction to investigate, We'll have to look into the hotels. The Treehouse looks amazing, though probably more space than the two of us will need.

Thanks for your input.