Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara...advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling (2 couples) to Puerto Vallarto for New Years. We will be there 7 days - Dec. 28th through January 4th - and we'd like to explore some of the surrounding towns away from PV. We were thinking about going to Guadalajara for a day. We've heard it's a beautiful town, offering an authentic taste of Mexican culture. Has anyone been there? Is it feasible and safe to travel from Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara? We were thinking about renting a car...is this a good/bad idea? What is there to see in Guadalajara or places to check out? Thanks for your help!

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 01:45 PM

In a nutshell...PV to Guad is a LONG HAUL unless you fly and have driver take you around. It takes at least 6 hrs. one way to drive it from PV. Do you really want to rent a car? How do you feel about full contact driving? It's definately an overnight.

If you do end up going, then by all means catch the Tonala market on Thursday or Sunday. It's BIG and lots of stuff. It's just on the outskirts of Guad. The agave fields are on the way if you drive.

Closer day trips you might want to consider are: San Pancho (San Francisco) and Sayulita. Both small quaint towns just north of PV and a decent trip on the Pacifico bus (an adventure in itself!). Take a ponga to Yelapa. PV can be a burn out that time of year, so unless night life is your thing, then take some reasonable day trips.

Taxis are CHEAP in PV, as long as you are not taking them from the airport where the fares are regulated. Use them to get around, or use the buses which are only 4.5 pesos a ride. Have fun!!

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Wow --i had not realized that Guadalajara was so far from PV! San Pancho and Sayulitas, are they beach towns? What do you recommend are the best things to do in Puerto Vallarta or must-see places? We are two couples in our early thirties -- we are going for relaxation, margaritas, guacamole, great food, cheap shopping, nightlife, and a taste of Mexican culture.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 03:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You can take a 1st class bus between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara, it takes 4-1/2 to 5 hours each way. You would need to spend at least one night there.

Yes, Sayulita and San Pancho are both beach towns a littlr more than 1 hour north of PV.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 03:11 PM

Never get into a taxi without first making a price to where you want to go. Guadalajara is the second largest city in Mexico. One day is not enough.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Puerto Vallarta is a perfect place to relax, there are truly no "must sees" in my book.

My favorite things are simply walking around El Centro (downtown), strolling The Malecon (seawall promonade) in the evenings, particularly on weekends, which is very festive, visiingt the church (with the crown on the top).

It's not like Vallarta is a hub of cultural excellents or architectural wonders; it's a normal mid-sized working Mexican city. It's beauty is in the every-day things in my opinion. Plus the friendly local people, and the pride they take in their tourist industry, excellent restaurants and hotels or all types.

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 02:43 PM

You can rent a driver for $100.00 a day (Benny in his car is at the ticket sales by Langostino's restaurant on the Los Muertos Beach). We had him drive us to Sayulita (a fun town to walk around and watch the young people on the surfboards); then to San Pancho (briefly for just a looksee); then to Guayabitos for lunch at Tonita I on the beach. Too bad you won't be there on a thursday for La Penita Market day. You may not have time to visit La Penita for an interesting walk along the beach. I drove to Guadalajara in 4.5 hours but would not recommend it on a 7 day trip to PV.