Puerto Vallarta side trips/tours

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 06:27 AM
Jen

Puerto Vallarta side trips/tours

Can anyone recommend day trips/tours that they have taken from Puerto Vallarta? We're interested in horseback riding (never been before)and maybe taking a boat tour/cruise. Thanks for your help.

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 06:36 AM
Michael Stern

Hi Jen,
I was in Puerto Vallarta about three months ago and made all my arrangements in advance with a company called Royale Tours, and I did some great excursions.
They recommended me a horseback riding tour, which was rather exciting ( other easier tours are available as well ), but this one was a great tour finishing at a waterfall where we had drinks and an opportunity to swim. Then back at the beautiful ranch ( Palma or so ), we had a very good BBQ Lunch. My wife and I really enjoyed it a lot.
We were also able to swim with the dolphins, because we made our reservations in advance with this company. The dolphins are fully booked all the time. It is really well done though, no shows or tricks, but the real swimming with the dolphins, good orientation, nice people, clean water, etc.
Also beautiful was a trip to a beach in the South, I forgot the name, but it was perfect, everything was included, kayaks, snorkeling, hammocks, snacks, buffet lunch, all drinks, beach-games, hiking, and the place is really beautiful with parrots, all types of plants and trees, nice beach, clear water, everything.
Royale Tours has a web-site where you can see some of their tours, but I would suggest you contact them so that they can give you some good recommendations. At that time Elena helped me and she did a great job. Have a nice vacation !

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 06:40 AM
Michael Stern

The web-site address for Royale Tours in Puerto Vallarta is http://www.royale-tours.com

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 06:45 AM
Jesse

I would recommend looking into taking a side trip to one of the many beaches south of town such as Las Animas, Quixmoto, or Yelapa. You can take a booze cruise tour to any of them or take a water taxi from the Los Muertos pier. Once there, you can rent horses for a ride to jungle waterfalls. There are also open air restaurants on the beach at each place. As far as any of the other tours, it depends on your frame of mind. The booze cruises (and there are a number of them) can be fun but are typical tours geared towards us silly gringos. I also found that the swimming with the dolphins was very touristy oriented in that they are not wild dolphins at all but penned up ones. I actually find the idea quite horrible but to each his own. Whatever you decide, PV is a great place so have a blast!

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 08:30 AM
Jen

Thanks for the advice!

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 12:25 PM
michael stern

I think I do not quite agree with the writer Jesse ( sorry about that ). First of all, the beaches Jesse is mentioning are very touristy, I went to Yelapa last year, and loads of (cheap)tourists arrive there for their day-trip. I don't know Quimixto or Las Animas. However, Caletas is really private, as only this one day-trip can go there, the facilities are not open to the public in general. It is worth to spend a few extra dollars in order to have this little privacy and all this beauty ! I also think that in the end it was not that much more expensive, we paid about $ 50 US per person, but did not spend one extra dollar for drinks, food, activities or anything else.
Then about the dolphins...The dolphin center we went to ( located in Nuevo Vallarta ) was great, and actually the dolphins are not enclosed all the time, they go out to the ocean from time to time and they always come back, voluntarily of course ! Anyway, as you say, whatever you are looking for, Puerto Vallarta definitely is a great choice !

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 05:07 PM
don

For a no-brainer horseback ride- walk over to the west side of Parque Cardenas, on Olas Altas in Old Town, the part of town south of the Rio Cuale.
The cowboys line their horses up along the street, saddled up an ready to go. Rent is 100 pesos per hour w/ guide. You can ride up the Cuale as far as you like. The first half hour is through the city and then along the river through a barrio, then the ride is very pretty. Horses are push-button, very easy to ride. Most of the booze cruises stop at Quimixto beach, where they rent horses for the ride up to a waterfall. We took the boat named Santamaria for an all day cruise for 300 pesos each. Boat leaves from los Muertos pier at 10am and includes snorkeling at several different spots, two beach stops, cont breakfast, decent lunch and all the beer and raunchy pina coladas you can guzzle. The drinks are made from cheap Agardiente from gallon jugs w/ pictures of Pancho Villa on them. Everybody drinks them anyway then does group macarena dances on the way home. Sometimes you just gotta smile and go w/ the flow. The capitan will chase whales if there are any around. This was pretty cool.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 11:30 AM
PT

Hi Jen,
You have received alot of great advice! I have lived here about 9 years and always recommend first timers to Vallarta, to do one excursion in the bay and one in the mountains. You have many options from many reputable companies. For a different view of the dolphins, I have a friend that runs a dolphin excursion, where you actually head out into the bay to be with the dolphins. They are not enclosed, not a show but an opportunity to observe them in their own, natural habitat. Please email me directly should you wish further info. Most of all, have a great time! PT

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 07:31 PM
JR in PV

Hi Jen,
I have a bunch of ‘Unusual Excursions’ listed at http://vallarta-info.com/puertovallarta5.html
Hasta,
JR

Old Apr 30th, 2000, 10:51 AM
Gilles

Hi Jen,
We are just back from PV.
We would strongly recommend the San Blas jungle tour. Lots of fun and alligators.
The Yelapa tour is a waste of time and money. Snorkeling was bad no matter where we went. I posted more info 2 weeks ago. Hope this helps.

Old May 7th, 2000, 01:40 PM
Sheila

We were in PV in January and also were
fortunate to use Royale Tours. They can help you with any type of tour or trip you want. Terrific people deal with..
Tell them Sheila and Roger say Hi!

Old May 11th, 2000, 11:55 AM
Roxanne Hanson

Returned from Puerto Vallarta one week ago, we had a great time. Wish we would have seen these recommendations before. We wanted to swim with the dolphins but unfortunately it was sold out. Puerto Vallarta is great and we had a very good time !

Old May 12th, 2000, 05:21 AM
jbrodie

Jen: We have been twice to PV, once with our children and once without. I agrre witht he lady who thought Yelapa was very commercial. The residents are very pushy although the kids did enjoy the horse trip to the falls and the boat ride on the Princess Yelape was very pleasant. I would strongly recommend the Dolphin Encounter Although it is quite costly, it was unforgetable. It is something my children tell everyone about. It was very well done. The dolphins are released monthly and return
voluntarily. Haris Tours have a jungle tour by coach that was very comfortable and educational. Hope this helps.

Old May 16th, 2000, 01:37 PM
Tex

Jen -
You might check out a new guide book, "Bus Across Mexico," which lists over 4,000 bus schedules across Mexico. Also has great tips on side trips. Lot cheaper than tour buses.
"Bus Across Mexico" is $19.95 from Bengi Publishing Co., 280 28th St. #613, Oakland, CA 94611.
Enjoy your trip!

Old May 20th, 2000, 06:25 AM
dan

Head south to the Bay of Tenacatita adn overnight at the Villa Montana Adventure Outpost! Check it out at: www.choice1.com/villamontana.htm

Old May 23rd, 2000, 06:34 AM
jennifer white

Thanks everyone for your great advice!

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 08:33 PM
Jen

W

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 02:53 PM
Ray Finck

We have heard excellent comments about the dolphins and we would would love to give our daugthers ( 11 + 13 ) a swim with the dolphin during our vacation in July. How can I book this in advance ?

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 03:21 PM
mary

You can book the dolphins or any other tour with Royale Tours. The web-site is http://www.royale-tours.com

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 02:51 PM
Ray Finck

Thanks, I just booked with Royale Tours. They are wonderful, very speedy answers !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information