Search

Puerto Vallarta Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Vallarta Help

Hello.

I am surprising my wife with a 4 night trip to PV in August. We will be traveling with our 1 year old son and my wife will be 3 months pregnant. From what I've read, it's pretty safe, so I'm not worried about that. We are coming from Cali, so it's not a long flight.

I was wondering if anyone could speak to whether I should arrange a car for us to pick us up from the airport or if we should just grab a cab. Our hotel is only 2 miles from the airport in Zone 1.

Also, I booked Sunset Plaza Beach Resort and Spa with the all-inclusive deal. Is this a good choice? What does the all-inclusive include besides meals and drinks?

Any other tips or advice?

Thanks..err...gracias.
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 10:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You should just grab a taxi at the airport. There are booths in the lobby where you purchase a ticket, prices are set by zone, then they'll point you outside to a cab.

Sunset Plaza is a fairly new resorts but has been getting consistently good reviews and comments. I don't know the details of what the AI covers.

As far as other tips or advice, just depends what you want to see and do. You can just sit back and relax at your hotel/resort or go into town where you'll find all kinds of shops, restaurants, arts, entertainment, etc. Or if you want to do any tours (but maybe not traveling with a small child).

Puerto Vallarta is a wonderful city, yes it is very safe, no worries there. I've been 20 times and just this morning started planning my next trip for this fall.

de nada ("it's nothing" = you're welcome) suze
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think your wife would enjoy the trip more if you left your little one with family. Not my idea of a relaxing time.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 06:55 AM

Mexicans love children, your son will have a great time, here's a map where your resort is located http://vallartainfo.com/hotelzone.html move down to Downtown and the South Side.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips everyone! All of it was very helpful. My wife and I are the kind that like to go out and do stuff rather than sit at the beach or the hotel, so I think we'll look into that.

Our son is super well-mannered and though he is only 1 rarely cries. We go out with him all the time and travel is a breeze with him. We are truly blessed. Believe it or not, he started sleeping through the night at 2 weeks.

Anyway, any tips on things we must hit in the city would be great!
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 12:01 PM

Stroll the Malecon
Visit the church downtown (with the crown on the top)
Watch sunset from Playa Los Muertos beach
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 01:12 PM

You should defenitely visit the Malecon. You can get there around 4 or 5pm, stroll around, grab some ice cream while walking besides the ocean, and then catch a good dinner on the restaurants facing the water.

They sometimes have ''voladores de papantla'' right in the middle of the Malecon (it's free, but tips are appreciated)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danza_de_los_Voladores
which is defenitely something you want to see. Check with your hotel about times and places.

Also near the Malecon, you can visit the regional market. Hundreds of little stands with locals selling crafts, silver jewlery, etc. Be sure to bargain a little.

Puerto Vallarta is extremely safe, so there's no nead to worry about anything, unless you go out of the Puerto Vallarta/Nuevo Vallarta area. I only do recommend that you always travel by taxi, and dont use the public transportation (buses) since you could get robbed there if they see a tourist.

Be sure to check out swimming with dolphins, although I've never done it in Puerto Vallarta I'm pretty sure all beaches in Mexico have this activity in their aquarium/park.

You could also go fishing at sunset with your family. Ask your hotel for tours.

You'll love it
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 06:26 AM

"and dont use the public transportation (buses) since you could get robbed there if they see a tourist."
That''s absolute rubbish !! I've been riding the busses for 20 years.
I would not visit the Malecón at 4 or 5 in August, far too hot, make it later.
There are no fishing tours at sunset.
The area around Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta and all around the bay is perfectly safe.
Sorry to criticize, 'gracegv', but I have to correct this misinformation.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 07:25 AM

That is so completely NOT true about tourists getting robbed using a public bus to get around. And just perpetuates a false stereotype of Mexico. I have never once heard of anyone getting robbed on a bus in PV in many many trips there over the years. Tourists use the busses right along with the locals ALL the time.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 08:49 AM
KVR

We've been to PV once. We used Vallarta Adventures for a tours to Yelpa and Majahuitas and a city tour. Also used Best Day for the Jungle tour with waterfalls.

http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/

I have used this company in Cancun, Cozumel and Playa del Carmen.

http://www.puertovallartatours.net/?...FalgTAodEkFwAA

We stayed at the Los Arcos and did their AI plan. Excellant location to walk to the Maceleon and other restaurants and shopping. We never took the bus, but took a few cabs. The drivers drove like crazy maniacs in a very big hurry. Just another adventure.

Check the website directly of the hotel you are interested in for what they do and don't include in their AI plan.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 08:42 PM

FYI, I live in Mexico, I am mexican. No stereotype. I've heard of friends getting robbed in public buses in PV for the past 2 years due to insecurities. Just saying.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 08:54 PM

I just think foreigners are safer in taxis, that's all.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

What about walking? Is it pretty safe to walk with a stroller or is the traffic kind of crazy? I noticed the Malecon, for example, is only 0.6 miles from our hotel. Would it be safe/easy to walk (the heat and distance is not a problem for us).

Any other tips?
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 07:26 AM

gracegv you don't live here in Puerto Vallarta, I do and have lived here, full time, for over 18 years, what your friends told you is incorrect! My information is personal not hearsay.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 07:30 AM

You could walk from your hotel, you won't have to cross any major streets, safety - apart from watching what traffic you will encounter - is not an issue.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 07:35 AM

Yes it's easy and safe to walk that distance. The sidewalks in the central part of the city are in good shape these days. Just be careful crossing the streets. While in theory pedestrians have the right-of-way that isn't always quite honored.

Sure anywhere in the world I guess you are "safer" in a taxi than on public transportation or walking down the street. But it's not like tourists being robbed is some raging social problem in Vallarta.
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 07:15 AM

Hi there!
tripcentral.ca has some great deals for everything you're asking about For example:

For a sort of middle of the road (pardon the pun) travel option, try this: http://www.partner.viator.com/en/104...-5193PVRAPTRND

For day trip options, consider: Las Caletas day trip from Puerto Vallarta here: http://www.partner.viator.com/en/104...30-2736SEA_LAS

Puerto Vallarta City tour: http://www.partner.viator.com/en/104...d630-2895PUE01

There are lots more if you go to www.tripcentral.ca and click on the Day Trips link on the top right. You'll find all kinds of cool stuff to see and do -- and the rates are super competitive.

Good luck & have a fantastic time!!
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 07:28 AM

tripcentral is just reselling tours from the actual tour operator, example the 2nd one above is the Vallarta Adventures tour, which they price at more than the operator sells it for, $94, Vallarta Adventures will sell it for $83.
Many other resellers will match that price, just do a Google search.
This is Aimee's one and only post on this board and looks very much like self promotion.
Old May 4th, 2013, 01:46 PM

Hello! I'm gathering all possible information about PV for my next trip on June.

I've already booked some tours with Vallarta Adventures for that dates but still looking for a transportation company that can take me from Airport to the Paradise Village.

I don't want to take taxis neither share a vehicle. Do you know some companies you can recommend me?

Many thanks!
Old May 4th, 2013, 01:49 PM

You can book thru Superior Tours, they are a great company. But they just greet you (with your name on a sign) then help you into a regular airport taxi.

Is there a reason you don't want to take a taxi? That's what most people do arriving PV?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -