Puerto Escondito anyone??

Aug 4th, 2000, 01:09 PM
Tasha

Puerto Escondito anyone??

Just heard about this great town - great surfing, laid back. Is this the west coast version of Playa del Carmen? Any info appreciated!
Could anyone tell me about the beach and surf conditions? Hubby's a surfer and it sounds like the perfect place.
Hotel recommendations Not looking to "rough it", (Im spoiled)
Is it safe? (I know, there's crime everywhere)
General atmosphere - mostly what - singles, surfers, couples, hippies, families??

Thanks.

Aug 4th, 2000, 02:27 PM
Susan

I'm interested in this area as well. We have been there - twice - but it's been a few years. It is different from Playa del Carmen, much less developed, or at least it was back then, and I don't think the situation has changed. Tourism seemed to fall off in that area, although I think people still go to Huatulco. There used to be charters going to Puerto Escondido from Canada, but I don't think there are any more. We are thinking of going back there again in the winter. We stayed at a small hotel called Flor de Maria. It was very pretty and very reasonably priced. The hotel that was more upscale is the Santa Fe. In terms of surf, the waves are big. I think that area is known for its surfing.

If anyone has more up to date information, I'd love to hear it.

Aug 7th, 2000, 11:49 AM
tasha

Still hoping for info.......

Aug 8th, 2000, 06:02 AM
texasgirl

i have been to puerto escondito and its neighbor puerto angel only briefly a couple years ago, so i am no expert, but for what it's worth, here's what i remember _ both were pleasant little towns that seemed much more like backpacker's and surfer's hangouts than playa del carmen; there was not the level of development and the businesses seemed to be owned and run by local folks, rather than europeans, americans or big corporations, as in playa. seemed like a place for hanging out and not doing much; relatively inexpensive, good seafood, of course. most of the tourists we saw were college-age or little older. don't know much about the hotels_ we stayed in huatulco, which i was not crazy about, too corporate _ but they looked to be on the rustic side. if you are not a surfer or a strong swimmer i don't know how much you'd like the beach _ the waves were really strong and there was an undertow when we were there. you might post this question on the lonely planet board, think some of the regulars there would know more than my meager knowledge...good luck...

Aug 11th, 2000, 02:33 PM
geri

What you all have said is true. P.E. is a bit more rough around the edges that Playa del Carmen. It's true that Zicatela is one of the best surfing beaches in the world, but there are other, more sheltered, beach coves just a little ways north. You can get to them by boat taxi or walk. It's a great little town. Be careful, re safety, on the beaches after dark or in deserted areas.The town's main street is closed to vehicular traffic at night...lined with restaurants and bars and shops. Safe.

Aug 11th, 2000, 03:30 PM
tasha

Thanks to all who posted, cant wait to go!