P's & Q's with Private Drivers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're just about ready for our trip to Costa Rica and have hired a private transfer company to move us from Monteverde to Arenal, M.A. and San Gerardo de Dota over two weeks. We'd like to make sure we follow proper decorum with our driver--or is it drivers? Does the same driver stay in town with us everywhere we go, or do they go home every day? Do we tip drivers at the end of the day and what about meals? Do we pay for driver meals?
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:41 AM

There are different ways to do drivers. We have used just transfers as well as hired a driver/guide who stays with us for a period of time. Our driver/guide is now a very good friend.

If you have just hired them as transfers between places then you may not have the same person each time. In this case you could tip them at the end of the transfer if they work for someone else. I wouldn't tip them if they own their own vehicle and are doing the driving unless they really go out of their way to show you things during the trip. Our private driver/guide gets paid well enough, it is his business, but we still give him a bonus. Not expected by him. He tried to refuse it the first time.

Meals.....most of the time we pay but it isn't always necessary. Their meals are worked into the fee or they just eat for free at the restaurant. Same with their hotels, some hotels offer free or reduced priced housing for guides as well as free meals. Generally, if they are staying with you for a period of time they will stay in reduced cost motels or in the provided housing at your lodge. You don't pay extra for it.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your quick reply, Suzie2! I should have mentioned we're using Costa Rica Shuttle, so I think that means the driver most likely works for someone else. Your response was very helpful and I appreciate your helping us to be thoughtful visitors! We can't wait to get there!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 01:54 PM

Have a wonderful trip. costa rica, as you have probably read, is full of wonders.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 08:48 AM

Hi Samstorm. i was reading your emails about your travel to Costa Rica and wanted to see how it went. i am going with a group next month and am looking into working with a transportation company as well- Costa Rica Shuttle. i saw that you were going to be using them and wanted to see how it worked out for you? i want to make sure that i am going with a good company.

thanks for the info.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 09:23 AM

To SUZB
we have just come back from CR and used costaricashuttle. we were very happy with all of them, most helpful and a wonderful way to see the country! say hello to leo cervantes for us!