Private transportation/tour guide cost estimation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2022, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I just started to plan a vacation to Costa Rica.

The rough itinerary would be fly into LIR --> stay at a nearby beach resort for 2/3 days --> go to La Foutuna area for 4/5 days, also will be meeting a friend's family there and spend the time together --> return to LIR

We would like to avoid driving as much as possible. We hate driving in a foreign country with unfamiliar roads, rules, driving habits. We can rent a car and drive ourselves if the alternative is cost-prohibitive.

Would anyone give me a rough estimate for the below items to help me budget:
1) Private transportation for 4 people from a beach resort near LIR to a resort near La Fortuna. (Also will need that for the return trip).
2) The cost of hiring a private tour guide/driver for day trips in the La Fortuna area, to see the volcano, waterfall, hanging bridge etc. This would be for 8 people. I have a rough idea of the per person group tour cost already. I would like to see how a private tour guide/driver would compare to the cost.

Thank you!
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 02:23 PM

We always do all of our La Fortuna area tours with Desafio. You could check with them to see if you could get a group discount. They have a good website you can explore.
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 02:29 PM

We usually hire our drivers through our hotels when we reserve them. If you're booking hotels, I'd check with them regarding transportation costs. I think the last time we went from San Jose to La Fortuna we paid about $180 for a private driver to give you an idea of costs; that was about a three hour trip. This was pre-pandemic so things may have changed.
Old Mar 14th, 2022, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Volcanogirl. I will check with my resort and Desafio for a better idea of costs.