Please review Costa Rica Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any information on driving times, or comments on what to expect or to priorituze at these locations would be greatly appreciated

12/26 Arrive 8pm SJO and got to Marriott San Jose by cab (any advice on getting decent service?)
12/17 Europcar drops off Rav 4 at hour hotel.
Drive via Orosi Valley (possible coffee tour via a colleague of my DH)
Spend night B&B Villa Florencia, Turrialba (only place available, hope it is OK!)
12/28 Drive "counter clockwise via Siqurres- Guapiles etc to eventually end up at Rancho Margot just south of Lake Arenal
This drive is the part I worry about, it seems far and I have heard roads are poorly indicated and I am not sure what we may find in the way of services/visitable sites along the way
12/28-12/30 3 nights Rancho Margot
(what should we prioritize please; zip lines, rio cano negro, hanging bridges, aerial tram?)
2 nights Peace Lodge - again any priorities?
2 nights Marriott Los Suenos - what is the drive from there to SJO like and what is care rental drop off like please?

THANKS
Julie
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 04:55 PM

If you do the Sky Trek zipline, that includes an aerial tram ride up. You can do everything on your list if you want to. Do the Cano Negro tour one day and maybe the hot springs at night, then another day do the Hanging Bridges and the zipline. If you have time the waterfall hike is also nice. When we stayed at the Peace Lodge, we spent a day exploring the exhibits and hiking the grounds and then did their nocturnal frog tour one evening. We also did a combo tour of going to Poas and the Doka Coffee Estate.
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 05:09 AM

Just use the "official" taxi service right at the airport, although the Marriott also has a shuttle.

In addition to the recommendations above, while down at Los Suenos, you could visit either Carara and/or Manuel Antonio National Park, do any number of zip line tours, take a surf lesson in Jaco (Del Mar Surf Camp is great). take a Crocodile Tour on the Tarcoles river...
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 06:53 AM

Hi Julie, I've not yet been to some of the areas you are going, but I do have some advice for you. Be sure to get a GPS with your rental car. We would NEVER have made it out of San Jose without it. You are right, the streets usually DO NOT have names. Even with the GPS we missed some turns, but it reroutes you back when you make a mistake. The driving in San Jose can be quite stressful, so we think the GPS is worth every penny. Once out of San Jose area, things do calm down.

We've never had a problem with the car rental drop off (we've been in CR several times), just be sure to leave yourself enough time. Also make sure the car rental place is in the GPS, so you can drive right to it.

Other than that, get ready to enjoy a wonderful trip!
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 11:16 AM

I am planning a trip to Costa Rica in the summer. I'm looking to experience the island culture as well as some sailing and snorkeling. Does anyone have any recommended <a href="http://www.stayincostarica.com/los-suenos-resort/">Costa Rica Resorts</a>?
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 10:56 AM

Costa Rica is not an island......