Please help with Drake Bay accomodations!

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with Drake Bay accomodations!

my husband and i are about to book a three nightstay inthe drakebay area. any comments regarding aguila de osa inn, casa corcovado,and punta marenco lodge will be extremely helpful...thanks in advance!
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 01:41 PM

If you go hiking in that area you will find some wonderful virgin rainforest. We saw some of the most spectacular Heliconias we had ever seen.
Aguila and Casa Corcovado are always on the top of the list for places to stay there. I haven't heard much about Punta Marenco. Aguilla and CC are in two different areas. Aguilla is alongside a river in a beautiful rainforest setting inside Drake Bay. There is a little path that you can walk into "town" on. Casa Corcovado is out and around the little peninsula and is actually on the Pacific. Much more remote. Haven't stayed there but have heard very good things. I actually stayed at La Paloma which is just across the river from Aguilla but walked by it many times.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 02:05 PM
JKP

Suzie2 - What did you think of La Paloma? We are considering it for a trip in Feb. or March. Have been to MA, Arenal, Monteverde, Heredia - loved them all! Anything to say about the property, rooms, activities, ect???
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 02:27 PM

I thought La Paloma was very nice. Nicole is the manager and she runs a tight ship. It is not a stiff place but it is just run very well. Food is very good and served family style. I would recommend one of the ranchos. The bathroom was nice (no glass or screen in the window, just open to the outdoors). The room was very big and we had a beautiful covered porch with rockers. I wasn't too impressed with the pool area but that wasn't what we went there for. You go up the river that I mentioned above just a little ways and it is a steep start to walk up to the lodge but the grounds once you get up there are very well done. The tours were good. The snorkeling was nice for a little while and I saw some good things. Then we hiked around on the island. I think Nicole takes the divers out. We also went fishing with Fred. He is an expat from Ohio who is a real character. Spent a good bit of time at his house with his family also. The rest of our time was spent hiking into the interior area looking at possible property to buy so we didn't do any more tours. We teamed up with a fellow who is part of an organization trying to save that area from lumbering.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 02:29 PM

One thing, if you do go to La Paloma (would assume the other places also) do bring a flashlight.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the info...sounds like both casa corcovado and aguila de osa are good choices...anyone know anything about CORCOVADO LODGE TENT CAMP?
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 10:16 AM

There was some confusion on the tent camps recently so want to clarify for anyone who might be able to help you.
There is Corcovado Lodge Tent Camp in Carate which is further down the coast towards the Gulfo Dulce. I have stayed there.
There is also Corcovado Adventures Tent Camp which is there by Drake Bay. I am assuming that this is the one you are inquiring about because of your other questions regarding places in Drake Bay?
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 11:17 AM

We stayed at the Aguila de Osa in 2001 for four nights and we were very happy with the lodge. The grounds are very beautiful, our room was nice (although there were a few little visitors in the shower), we were very happy with the guides and the outings offered by the lodge and the food was by far the best we had in CR.