Playa Del Carmen with kids

Mar 7th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Playa Del Carmen with kids

Hello All,
We will take a trip to Playa del Carmen in April with 2 kids (15 and 9). I have looked at several sites including Fodors and Tripadvisor and am not any closer to a final choice (a kid in a candy shop syndrome).

Can you please recommend a good place for approx. $1200 for 7 days in Playa del Carmen? I am in touch with The Royal Haciendas place - how good is that resort? We would like our property to be on the beach (across the road would be fine too!) and have a swimming pool(s).

What about Cancun? I have booked (since it is refundable) the Westin Grand Resort.

I appreciate your input. You guys made us have a fabulous time in Hawaii 2 years ago!

Thank you.
Mar 7th, 2012, 11:35 AM

I'm no expert but if I were heading to that side of Mexico, I would most definitely pick someplace in Playa del Carmen over Cancun.
Mar 7th, 2012, 02:43 PM

Royal Haciendas is not in town but north of town. Not easily walkable to town.
Mar 9th, 2012, 12:10 PM

I would pick PDC over Cancun. If you want to be on a large resort and plan on spending most of your time there, then being walking distance to PDC isn't necessary. But if you are planning to go in and out of town for dining, shopping and other entertainment, then being walking distance to PDC is preferable.

We've (family with 2 older teens at the time) done condo rentals at Xaman Ha, which is on beach, has pool, very family friendly, and walking distance (maybe 3 blocks) to 5th Av (the main drag in PDC). There are also some smaller hotels right in town and on the beach. Most of the bigger resort type places are a bit further away.
Mar 25th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all - my apologies for the late response; I was travelling in Kenya (non-profit business trip) for the past 2 weeks.

buigastravel: I would love to speak to you about what you wrote.