Reload this Page >

Playa del Carmen--Where do I stay??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 09:45 AM
Faith

I am going to Playa del Carmen next May. I am very excited about the trip, but I have one problem: where do I stay? I will probably go through a travel agent just to make sure everything gets done correctly. I had decided on staying at the new Club Azteca Beach Resort but would like some info. on it before I make a decision. If any can help it will be much appreciated.!. Thanks

Old Aug 21st, 1998, 05:37 AM
doug

The club azteca was being built next to the diamond when we were in Playa in January. It looked like a nice place. You'll love Playa. I know someone who is staying at the Porto Real this week, asa soon as they get back I'll see how they liked it. I think the nicest all inclusive is the Royal Maeva. Don't know if you are single/couple, but most of the people who stay at the PlayaCar all inclusives are couples and families. Hope this helps a little <BR> <BR>Doug

Old Sep 4th, 1998, 11:37 AM
Faith

Doug, <BR> Thank you very much for the info. I am sorry it took so long to reply-my computer has been down for a week or so. I hope that your friends enjoy their trip. I am looking forward to mine very much. Now if I can just find a place to stay I'll be in good shape. It will be just me and my boyfriend going on vacation. We considered Cancun but decided that it would be just a little too much going on. We want to have a great time but still have a little seclusion. Nothing too wild. That's what vacations are for, right? If you find out any more info. it will be appreciated. Thanks a bunch!!! <BR> <BR>Faith

Old Sep 6th, 1998, 07:31 AM
steve

we are going in jan-99 we are staying @ the pelicano inn you can find them www.turqreef.com or 1-800-538-6802 looks like a grate little place check it out . <BR>

Old Sep 9th, 1998, 09:17 AM
Doug

My friends just got back from Playa. They said that the Porto Real was great. They went with the non-all inclusive and ate in town. The Pelicano was mentioned above this is a small hotel. You can find listings for many of the small hotels at mayanriviera.com. They also have a forum section similar to this with lots of great info. You won't find anything to wild in Playa except for the Blue Parrot. <BR> <BR>Have fun!!! <BR>Doug

Old Sep 9th, 1998, 08:18 PM
Faith

Doug- Thank you for the tips. I'm glad your friends had fun on their vacation. If you don't mind, could I ask how much it cost them since it was non-all inclusive. I've been trying to figure out if all-inclusive is better or not. Thanks a bunch. Again! : ) <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 1998, 05:34 AM
Doug

They paid about $500 each. This included the flight from Chicago, transport to and from the hotel, and a room for the week. If you are interested they booked using funjet - www.funjet.com. Look in the hot deals section or use the pricing guide. May is low season so you should be able to get a deal after the first of the year. <BR> <BR>Good Luck <BR>Doug

Old Sep 20th, 1998, 10:22 AM
Lana

My husband and I stayed in Playa del Carmen in April (2 weeks - our honeymoon - it was our second time in Mexico - we stayed in Cozumel the last time we went). We absolutely loved it. We stayed at the Iberostar resort. It was absolutely beautiful. We loved everything about the entire trip - the resort was great; the food was fabulous; the beaches were stunning and most of all - the people are so friendly. One thing we found really great about the resort is the nightlife. The resort has its own disco which is open from 11:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m. every night so you don't really have to worry about leaving the resort at night to find something to do. Iberostar is a "couple of doors down" from the new Azteca. This resort was still under construction in April. The same people who own the Azteca own another resort there called the Mayan Beach or Club Mayan Beach (I can't exactly remember the name). I am not sure how the Azteca is structured, however, the Mayan Beach (or Club Mayan Beach) is a resort/timeshare set-up. From our conversations with the representatives of the resort, we understood that the Azteca was a similar set-up, however, I am not 100% sure. This is something you may want to check with your travel agent. We, unfortunately, got "fished in" to going for a "tour" of the new Mayan Beach resort, only to find out that they were trying to sell us a timeshare. (We spent over 3 hours there and it was very difficult to get them to understand that we were not interested.) In any event, check with your travel agent in advance to perhaps avoid being hasseled during your stay. <BR>If you need any more information at all (about the hotels or the town of Playa del Carmen, which, by the way, you must see), send me an e-mail. <BR>Hope this helps. <BR>Lana