Playa del Carmen AI hotels

Aug 12th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Playa del Carmen AI hotels

I just booked airfare into Playa del Carmen over xmas for my family of 4. We have never been to Mexico and so this is a first. My husband wants to stay in a luxury all inclusive during the holidays. We are trying to decide between the Royal Hideaway Playacar Occidental or the Riu Palace Mexico. I have two teenagers 17 and 19 so I asking advice as to which hotel people think would be best. Which beach do you think is better?
Also we have never been to Cancun and I'm thinking of going up there for the last 2 days as my kids like a little action. Do you think Cancun is worth a trip or should we just spend our 8 nights in Playa with side trips to all the yucatan sights?
Aug 12th, 2006, 04:54 PM

You better book quickly as the resorts fill up early for X-ma. The Royal Hideaway is one of the best resorts in the area, BUT...I don't think your teenagers will be happy there. It's basically an adults only resort and they wouldn't have much to do. The Riu's are nice resorts. Have you looked into the Iberostar resorts?
Aug 13th, 2006, 01:46 AM

I agree. Plus, if you still are looking at those choices I like the RIU beach better. Plus if you stay at the RIU your kids can go to the RIU Yucatan, Tequila and Playacar at night. Most teens like the Tequila and all three resorts are within easy walking distance.
Aug 14th, 2006, 04:57 AM

I'm not sure if you need to go to Cancun for some action - Playa del Carmen is a very lively little city with plenty to do at night. The only thing it doesn't have are the huge high rises.
Aug 16th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for you advice. It is much appreciated. I booked into the Riu Palace Mexico for the teens. Also do you all think it is pretty safe to drive around there? I was thinking of renting a car and doing our Mayan ruins tour.
Aug 16th, 2006, 04:36 PM

I always rent a car to drive wherever. Just be sure to look at the rules of the road in MX; they are a bit different than in the US if that's where you're from. I like the rental because you can get to the ruins early enough to beat the buses. Just make sure you understand the rules, drive the speed limit and take the precautions associated with renting inf MX.