Peru trip in Oct. - parka needed?

Old Jul 6th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peru trip in Oct. - parka needed?

I saw on a recent Peru post that in addition to sweaters and fleece jackets and other lighter jackets, a goretex parka was taken for a Machu Picchu trip last October.

We'll be doing a week in Cuzco, Sacred Valley and MP this October. Will we need parkas? I was thinking layers of fleece plus thinner, windbreaker type jackets lined with fleece but would it feel cold enough to want a parka?

Thanks.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:58 AM

backpacker.com

Gearfinder outerwear good info.

For me Gore Tex outerwear layered

wicking inner wear would be good.

North Face generally my fav...
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 02:15 PM

Leslie,

I would say no to the parka - a fleece should be sufficient. Cusco will be the coldest place, especially at night. We were there in June and were all perfectly comfortable with a fleece. Plus, if it is really cold you can get an alpaca wrap or scarf, which you will probably want to buy anyway. You most likely won't be doing much at night in MP or Sacred Valley, as you will be exhausted from the daytime walking and touring and there really isnt much in the way of nightlife there. Enjoy!
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 03:08 PM

We were in Cuzco, MP in late October and a fleece, with hood, and layers will be fine. We each took a thick cotton pull-over sweater, and wore t-shirts underneath. Those with a fleece jacket were sufficient; no need for a parka. You might take a long-sleeve t-shirt, as that was what we wore during the day at MP. As another poster commented, you can purchase alpaca sweaters, t-shirts, etc. there inexpensively. We did take hiking boots, more for comfort, than warmth. Sneakers would be fine if you do not think you'll do much hiking; although hiking boots are great just for walking -- lots of support. Peru is marvelous!
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that info. One less thing to pack! I'll be looking for some hybrid trail running/hiking shoes before we go. Took a walk the other day in running shoes and thought my ankles were a bit wobbly on the rocky path so I guess it's worth investing in something more hiker-ish for this trip. Not doing the Inca Trail but still might be good for MP and for HP if we do that.

Thanks again for the parka advice.