PERU IN MARCH (it's going to happen)!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, we pulled the trigger and booked using NWA World Perks miles (with flights on Continental); March 9 thru March 25 for our Peru visit. We arrive and depart Lima and all the rest is open as our itinerary is yet to be decided.

We will appreciate any and all suggestions and advice on putting together the itinerary. We are a 50’s plus couple with plenty of independent travel experience to Europe and Asia and some limited experience to Jamaica and Mexico; but, this will be our first time to South America.

Of course, we will do lots of research over the next several months as we always do, but very much like to enlist the experience of other travelers on this board.

Thanks to all for the good help.
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Spend time in the Scared Valley--don't just do a quickie tour thru the valley. We especially loved Ollantaytambo. Arequipa was a bit of a disappointment, but Colca Canyon is fabulous. We always travel on our own too, but we did use a guide for portions of the trip, David Choque,
[email protected]. He was excellent and I think greatly added to our enjoyment of our trip. Enjoy your planning!
Old May 16th, 2007, 05:58 PM

I've posted a lot on Peru. Here are some links to a few:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34975512

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34986745

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34969674

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34989812
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:15 PM

Next month (6/14) I'm going to Peru -- last year I went to Ecuador, and that was my first South American trip. A wonderful experience, despite the last minute changes. Our plans to visit Banos "blew up" when the Tungurahua volcano erupted the night before we were supposed to leave Quito and go down there. Ah, well, the best laid plans .....

ANYHOW, back to the trip at hand. A good friend and I recently passed the big 5-0. To honor the rite of passage, we've decided to have a gal's adventure down south. We made this decision relatively late -- planning in March for a June trip. Consequently, we opted to buy airfare/transfers/hotels thru a tour operator. Using "South American Vacations" -- http://savacations.com,
we'll be following the Incan Odyssey & Lake Titicaca itinerary.

Since I haven't been on this trip, I'll share a bit of my thought process is making our selections.

A high priority on our "to do" list for Peru is seeing Machu Picchu. It can be done as a daytrip .... albeit a very long day trip. The train between Cusco-MP takes 3 1/2 hrs. I really want to spend a bit more time exploring MP than what that would allow. And after learning there is ONE hotel directly across from the ruins, I wanted to stay there and be able to explore MP after the daytrippers had left and before the crowds show up the next morning (trains arrive from Cusco to MP, starting @ 9:45 am). Should you do decide to overnight close by MP, be aware there are other hotels in the nearby town of Agua Calientes -- Agua Calientes is 15-minute bus ride from MP.

Also, when planning our itinerary, I wanted to keep in mind "elevation issues". My trip to Ecuador in Aug-2006 was my first time at altitude -- we were in Quito (9,200 ft) and Termas Papallacta (10,800 ft). I certainly was breathing a bit harder & moving slower, but I was okay with the altitude.

If you haven't considered those effects, that may be something in planning where/when you'll go.

Lima is at sea level and Cusco is up at 11,000 feet. We fly from Lima up to Cusco on day 3. After being met at the Cusco Airport, we'll be going to the Sacred Valley area (Pisac/Ollantambo), staying overnight at Sonesta Posada Del Inca in Yucay. The Sacred Valley is down around 8,000 ft. Next day we go to Machu Picchu (~ same altitude) -- overnight there and then head up to the city of Cusco itself (11,000 ft.). And by that time, hope to be acclimated to the higher altitudes, as we climb even higher when going to Lake Titicaca.

Once I do get back, I'll share more details. There is another poster on this forum (Sandi from Denton) who's very well traveled and has been to South America several times.
Old May 21st, 2007, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Tess: How will you travel to Lake Titicaca? Thanks

Yestravel: What was it (or not) that Arequipa was a bit of a disappointment? Thanks

hills: Thanks

Anyone: is there a hotel at the Lima Airport that can be reached easy for a long flight layover or is it necessary to go into the city for a hotel?
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I am aware of 1 hotel near the Lima airport, Manhattan Inn,
www.hmanhattan.com
I recall reading that there is also another hotel being built nearby. Perhaps by the time you go it will be completed.

I seem to be in the minority with my feelings about Arequipa. I am a big fan of colonial cities and I felt that outside of the Plaza de Armas there was not much to the city. There were a few interesting sights including Sacristy of La Compania which has fabulous murals, the cathedral,& the Santa Catalina Monastery. We stayed at a lovely B&B Casa Arequipa with wonderful staff
http://www.arequipacasa.com/
I agree that's its a good idea to start in Arequipa to help adjust to the altitude.

We went to MP from Ollantaytambo which is about an hour+ train ride. We arrived before the other trains from Cusco and could stay longer than the trains departing to Cusco. We found MP to be slightly crowded for about an hour or so btwn 11 am and noon. In the afternoon it was deserted.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:47 PM

tatersalad,

We had the option to fly (Cusco-Puno) or to take the bus or the train (Andean Explorer). With a bit of trepidation, we're choosing to take the train. I only say it that way, as in South America buses are frequently the choice for traveling about the country. And, I read scare stories of travelers being robbed, etc. Then I'd look on other sites such as these, and thought, it sounds so beautiful & relaxing to sit in the train car, gazing out at the Andes Mountains. Plus, on a 10-hour ride, I'd prefer the comfort of a train vs. bus. (being able to walk around, go to bathroom, chat w/ other passengers).

http://www.go2peru.com/andean_explorer.htm

http://www.opentravelinfo.com/travel..._train_in_peru

Do be aware the Andean Explorer train doesn't have daily runs between Cusco-Puno. I know it travels on Wednesdays (the day we'll be going).
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:50 PM

Oh, and another nugget of info to pass along .... when you're taking the train from Cusco to Machu Picchu (your only other option is to walk, a 3 or 4 day trek) .... sit on the LEFT side of the train for the better scenic views.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:45 AM

There are other options. You can stay in the Sacred Valley overnight and take the shorter train ride from Ollaytaytambo.
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:30 PM

I was in Peru last May/June and loved it!! We also did Machu and stayed at the Santury hotel for one night ($950 USD per night for three in a room!!)We hiked the short inca trail and spent the first night in Agua Calliente. To arrive at the sun gate and see Machu from above is the most incredible thing ever! I would not spend just a day trip to Machu, you should spend at least one night there. As mentioned the crowds are much lighter in the later afternoon. We also went to Lake Titicaca by bus from Cusco and then flew back. We spent one night in Puno and then arranged a night on one of the islands with a family. It was fabulous. It was not a floating island, although we did visit one of those and it was like walking into the pages of the national geographic. I would not want to spend the night on one though. If you have any questions let me know. We are in our 50s as well, and love adventure but still need our basic 'creature comforts'
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 05:16 AM

Just bookmarking. thanks
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 11:38 AM

We're a 60's plus couple and just returned from a month in Peru, travelling with our Peruvian daughter-in-law.
Among the highlights:
-- CHICLAYO, where we visited the tombsite of the Lord of Sipan where archaeologists are still working, and other pre-Incan sites. We used Fernando Cruzalegui, a knowledgeable guide whose English is very good. e-mail [email protected] or @hotmail.com; cell phone (74) 9588703.

-- COLCA VALLEY. I recommend where we stayed, the Tradicion Colca. Condors aside, the area is fascinating. Given increased tourist interest, it might not stay so relatively "untouched" for long.

-- in CUZCO, I recommend where we stayed, the Pension Alemana in the San Blas neighborhood. I'd trust Katya, there, for advice, from choosing among the many tour agencies to calling in a doctor for you.
One day we took a half-hour cab ride to Tipon, for lunch at one of its many cuyerias. The driver waited for us, making it a round-trip ride costing $10.
The cathedral rivals its European counterparts.
Cuzco is very tourist-oriented. It must top NYC for number of pizzerias.
Should you experience the Revenge, go to one of the many pharmacies and buy a magic pill which stops it immediately. Many items such as antibiotics are available in Peruvian pharmacies without a prescription.
Sadly, I do not recommend Choque, who provided only some of the promised services after we had given him a deposit several months before, of $1200. We ended up firing him.

Choque included Lake Titicaca and Macchupicchu in the itinerary but didn't tell us about these unpleasant surprises:
Lake Titicaca -- the boat ride to the first island took 3 hours; you could swim it faster. The 585-step hike down from the top of Isla Taquile was just as strenuous on the lungs, literally breathtaking, as the hike up, even if you had become acclimated and didn't experience altitude sickness.
Macchupicchu -- he'd recommended taking the 7 a.m. train from Ollantaytambo to beat the crowd coming from Cuzco. However, he omitted stating we had to leave Cuzco at 4:30 a.m. to drive to Ollantaytambo.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:09 PM

wheresmybag,
I hope you did enjoy the Taquile Island time despite the surprise. Lonely Planet described it well, giving us warning. SOME arrive on the other side of the island and are somehow brought to the top, and the young people going back down with us found -that- stressful when they hadn't even had to do the walk UP those steps.

But I loved the views and I was going light. No bags. But age 57 at the time. And not an exerciser so one doesn't need training to do it, just be acclimated to the heights by staying somewhere high overnight before going there.

My photodiary for this portion of our trip is at http://andrys.com/peru10.html

- Andrys