Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Peru and Brazil - Independent Travel - How to plan air/ground transportation to make the most out of 2 weeks?

Search

Peru and Brazil - Independent Travel - How to plan air/ground transportation to make the most out of 2 weeks?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Amie

We're currently planning to visit the following areas in no particular order: Cuzco, Machu Picchu, Rio, Manaus, The Amazon, Iguassu Falls (optional), and Lima (optional). We have 15 days in which to do this. After about two weeks of research and planning, I pretty much know where we want to stay and how long we want to stay in each location. However, i'm feeling completely overwhelmed with trying to find the cheapest and fastest way of transporting us from each of these locations to the next. <BR><BR>Is there advantage to basing ourselves in one main city and taking round trip flights from there, returning each time? (i.e. U.S. to Rio, Rio to Manaus, Manaus back to Rio, Rio to Iguassu Falls, Iguassu Falls back to Rio, etc.) Or can you do one way trips cheaply in South America, thus saving us from having to backtrack? Does anyone have any experience on how I could plan my itinerary more efficiently at a price that won't break the bank? <BR><BR>Also any suggestions regarding the following would be helpful:<BR><BR>With whom should I book my flights - online, travel agency, direct with the airlines? Any suggestions would be appreciated! <BR><BR>Is it cheaper to book 3 to 5 star lodgings online, with a discount web site, or through an agent?<BR><BR>Should I prebook the Cuzco to Machu Picchu train/helicopter before I get there? Any suggestions on reliable methods of booking?<BR><BR>If a travel agent is advised, anyone have a recommendation?<BR><BR>Thanks for all your help!

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Don

Amie, just for starters try this website/agency for airfares: http://www.brazilianvacation.com/AirOnly.html. You also may want to check out brazil nuts, do a search on Yahoo.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 05:55 AM
MC

Hi! Sounds like a great trip. You might want to consider beginning in Lima and working your way east. I think there is a time difference/change that works in your favor going in that direction? Because of altitude you might want to go to M.P. fast as possible then spend a couple of days in Cuzco to get used to altitude and explore (MP being lower in altitude). The falls are magnificent and you will want to plan a helicopter quick zip over them (not expensive) first off and then do the boat into the falls. The flying back and forth will eat up your time I think. On your Lima stopover there is a beautiful restaurant on a big pier on the shore that is a great place to relax and take it in and have a great meal and pisco sour! Don't remember name of it. After you do west you might want to then make Rio your home base, don't know. Have fun!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Beatriz

You should buy a Brasilian Travel Pass , Its cheapper than the tickets sold in Brasil .<BR>In Manaus ( 3 days)stay at Ariau in the jungle and in Iguacu(2 days) try the Cataratas hotel ( not so good, a little bit old)but its OK. <BR>Try to go to Praia da Pipa close to ( 3 or 4 days)Natal.( in the northeast)<BR>its a very nice beach with many small good restaurants, the best place to stay is a pousada called Toca da Coruja, very cozy.<BR>Nice Trip

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 09:33 PM
Surlok

I agree with Beatriz. However, bear in mind that Brazil has continental dimensions. Figure a flight from Rio to Manaus, or vice versa, as long as a flight New York/Los Angeles. I'm unsure about flights from Lima to Manaus, don't know whether there's this route, but if there is, it would be better doing Peru first, then Manaus, then Rio, and from Rio, flying to Iguassu Falls, since Manaus is in the North of the country, Iguassu Falls in the South, and Rio is midway.<BR><BR>Also, beware that there are many types of travel passes. Make sure that you're buying the right one for your trip purposes.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>s