Search

personal tour guide

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
personal tour guide

I am looking for a personal tour guide in Rio and the Salvador area. We will actually stay in Rio and Costa de Sauipe (5 days each, lodging is set). I am interested in seeing the typical sights, as well as taking a day trip to both Petropolis and Cachoeira. I also harbor a fondness for architecture and cultural activities.

I have read all of the tour guides, and their various suggestions. In our travels to other destinations we have been successful in searching out "individual" or "semi-personal" guides/tours. I am looking to see if others have had similar experiences in Brazil.

We plan to travel in March. Our group is diverse (myself, wife, 4 yr old son, and 2 elder parents).

Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 01:41 PM

hi,I take tour groups around south america and some of these include Salvador. I can say that in Salvador it's not too easy to find a good guide. In Rio much easier. I can recommend a guide we use, he's great, good english, and very knowledgeable about the culture and the city, and is very interesting. Salvador has cultural activities nearly every night, some in centre of city, some further out to qhich you'd have to get a taxi. Id recommend staying on the historical centre for 2-3 days, and then perhaps by beach area. There are no really good beaches near the city centre.
As for Rio, I can recommend guides too and also give you tips on what to do, where to go, where not, what not to do, there are always lots of cultural things going on. The guides can give you the normal tourist tour and then adapt more to your interests. Niemeyer lives here and has designed various buildings in the city. Petropolis is lovely, and worth a day trip. You may enjoy Parati. It's a beautiful colonial town about 3.5 hrs away from rio for a couple of days.
Ipanema is a better place to stay than copacabana if poss.
If I can help you any more please ask.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 02:28 PM

hi, have a look at this great site as to whats on in Salvador, some of these things are permanent. Have fun. http://www.bahia-online.net/happenings.htm
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. You seem to know quite a bit about the local scene. I have hundreds of questions. What type of guide are you...a travel agent or a tour guide? How can I get the name of the tour guide in Salvador that you recommend?

I am curious about the guides in Rio...do they work alone or for a company?

I need more info before I can make a decision.

thanks again.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 03:21 PM

hi, right, I am a tour guide and tour leader, ie I guide in the state and city of Rio and am a leader elsewhere as each place has its local guides. Im not a travel agency. ive been guiding for nearly 5 years now. We Guides can't or shouldnt (some do) advertise ourselves on this site. I work free lance mainly for a UK based travel company and have other guides working with me here when the workload gets too big.
Re the guide In Salvador, his name is Marcos and i'm trying to get in touch with him to pass on his details to you but he hasnt answered his phone, may be travelling, so as soon as I confirm them I'll pass them to you so you can contact him direct. He works free lance for some agencies in Salv.
Please ask me any questions you want and if you'd like my email then please ask
Many thanks and have fun planning the trip.