Peace Lodge in CR , construction?

Old Nov 1st, 2004, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peace Lodge in CR , construction?

HI,
This is for anyone who has recently stayed there or might have knowledge of the construction and future plans at the Peace Lodge in CR:

My travel agent was notified that the hotel was under construction and they wanted to offer a courtesy call to let us know. Due to the language barrier, she could not fully understand but seemed to think that it involved the addition of a pool.

I realize that they are expanding services and have a lot of future plans as listed in their website, but can anyone offer any additional information?

When I booked, I was informed that there was construction going on and I think some other posters have mentioned it as well. However, I was reassured that it was non-intrusive and not in close proximity to the rooms (right next door).

Thanks, I would like the peace of mind that we are not going to run in to a mess!!!!

Old Nov 1st, 2004, 03:19 PM
alg

I would also be interested in a response. We will be there in less than three weeks and I don't recall any mention of construction when I booked the reservation.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:37 AM

Likewise waiting to hear. Please please someone who has good recent info respond.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:05 PM

I did finally hear something. A travel agent reports that when she was there in May there was indeed construction. I e-mailed the reservation address to ask the question and the reply was that "construction should not be a bother because it's only during the hours 9-5." I'm not sure what to do abt our own reservations at this point. We're supposed to be there for 2 nights in early Jan. and I absolutely do not enjoy staying where there's building. Has happened of course a couple of times during our travels here in the States and it was a real annoyance. No catastrophe certainly-- but would prefer to stay somewhere where it was totally quiet and unmessy.

I hope to hear more from recent visitors.....
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

It seems like the construction is not new and there have been recent posts on how wonderful PL was. I'm not going to worry, but when I return, probably on 11/21 or 22 I will post a quick message if it will help any of you.
They are adding a lot of services and when I asked about it, I was told that the construction did not involve the rooms. I sent an e-mail to them and I will let you know what they tell me.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:21 AM

Wolfiesmom-- thanks; I'll look for your report. I too had heard that the construction didn't affect the rooms-- but that pronouncement was kind of meaningless. I.e. it can be unpleasant staying at a hotel if the ambient conditions are noisy/busy/messy, even if the dust etc doesn't specifically intrude into the rooms. The most responsible and civilized establishments often discount rates when construction is happening. I've been much looking forward to Peace Lodge (despite the reported "disneyesque details), so this was a disappointment. No doubt you'll have a great stay anyway-- I hope so!

By the way, what activities do you plan to do while you're there? Part of my problem is that we were not going to be leaving the property-- just relaxing on our first day in CR, so the "peace" atmosphere is pretty important to us. I suppose we will have to arrange some way to "escape" the grounds for a while. (We'd first thought to do La Selva Biological Station because I'd heard that it's one of the most interesting hikes/tours in the country-- but then we decided we didn't want to haul out early in the morning for a longish drive on our first day. I may need to re-think some of this. Anyway-- have a lovely trip!
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:52 AM

When we were at Peace Lodge last winter they were working on new rooms as well as a new restaurant. Our room was one room away from the new ones and we were not particularly bothered by any noise. (could be the sounds of the wonderful stereo and the jacuzzis were blocking most of it LOL. we just couldn't drag ourselves away from the water except for a couple of hours in front of the fireplace and the grounds) The new restaurant was far enough away also. Much of what was being built then is probably done by now so the noise is probably even less.

I am with the person who wished there was a more congenial area for guests to gather to compare travels. I enjoy talking to other people and the restaurant (dinner)really wasn't conducive to chit chat among the guests. Real milk or cream for the coffee would have been nice also.

One other word of caution. The gift shop is run by Cafe Britt and many of the things we saw there we saw elsewhere for much less.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:59 AM

Jessie-- Thanks for replying. Did you and your friend spend the entire day at Peace Lodge? Did you not do any off-grounds activities? We're trying to decide what to do for the day (2 nights) that we're there. Are the grounds extensive enough to keep one busy walking/admiring all day?
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:19 AM

We had already been in CR for several weeks and Peace Lodge was the end of our visit. We were pretty hiked out and quite content to just relax and watch the fog roll in from the jacuzzi. We went on the waterfall trails several times but did it early before the tourists arrived and then later after many of them had gone. Same with the gardens and hummingbird areas.

There are several trips offered away from the property and it is probably a good thing to do during the peak hours for day trippers. It can get pretty crowded there. An early morning trip to Poas volcano is offered as well as a trip to Doka coffee plantation. I am sure you have seen their listing of trips on the web site. Honestly don't know much about the other trips offered. I believe if you do a search, someone had been to the rainforest place offered.

I do hope you all report back. Would love to hear how all the new contruction turned out. Would possibly think about going back someday. Will stop at the grocery on the way to pick up cream for my coffee though.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi, I received an e-mail from the Peace Lodge in response to my worries about the construction. It stated that they do not feel that the construction will affect my stay and that they have not had any complaints about the construction.

I understand what you mean but I have decided not to worry about it until I get there. If there is a problem I will deal with it accordingly. Coming from NY where our state sign should be "road work ahead", I can deal.

As far as milk and cream, I happened to ask about it, and I was told that milk could be available if requested and that it would not be a problem to get some for my coffee. She did not mention cream though. I also asked about the availabilty of food if we arrived late and was told that the restaurant is open until 9 pm and if there were any special menu requests, I should let them know so that they could accommodate me.

As far as what I planned to do: I figured that since this would be my stomping gound for my first three nights in CR, my arrival night would be just enjoying the jacuzzi , views,and the fact that I am on vacation. The second day we hoped to tour the grounds, hike the waterfalls, and again relax. Then on the last day,we hoped to go to Poas volcano and Doka Coffee plantation. It is also a Sunday so we weren't quite sure about what would be avialable, so we might swap plans and relax Sunday and do the trips on Saturday.

When I went to Spain, I planned all our trips so well that I felt like a camp counselor with a whistle. This trip, I decided would primarily be for rest and relaxation and "pura vida". Instead of worrying about what I am going to do or plan, I figured that I would play it by ear and decide when I get there.
I won't have a car so my choices may also be limited. We will probably ask the PL staff for some recommendations. Most places have the tour list so we hope to get some good ideas.

I am travelling with my husband and parents so it will just be nice to get away from the cold of NY and work.

Looking forward to my trip and will definitely post some quick tips when I return.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 02:35 AM

Wolfiesmom:
I applaud your decision to "play it by ear". It's very hard to switch to that gear isn't it?! If there was ever the place to "let go control", it's Costa Rica--it's the best way to experience Pura Vida! Having that frame of mind upon arrival and throughout your vacation will insure a wonderful trip for you!
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Shillmac,
Welcome Back!! Nice to have you around again, haha. Thanks for your kind words. The one thing that I learned is that when you overplan something, any little deviation tends to ruin your plans and perhaps your vacation.

Being bilingual is also a plus since I like to socialize with the locals and it seems to always guarantee great service.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:54 AM

It does help, although it is nice that one can get by without it. Since I've been able to carry on extended conversations, my travels to CR have been much more enjoyable. I can actually go to my family's home and sit and visit with them for an hour or so without having to work so hard at it! It gets easier every time, thank goodness!

Wolfiesmom, I have a couple of photos I'd like you to take to PPC with you and give to a couple of people we know who work there--would you be willing? If so, e-mail me your address. Thanks!

[email protected]
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Shillmac- I just e-mailed you with my info. Hope it works out!
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 12:25 PM

Wolfiesmom,
I think you will enjoy CR much more by embracing the Pura Vida. Some wonderful surprises will happen that way.

I backpacked all over europe a few years ago with nothing but a rail pass. It was a wonderful trip and often would go to sleep on the train and get off wherever I woke up!
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 01:47 PM

Jessie-- forgive my response (if necessary); I suppose it's the "teacher" in me coming out--but I felt I needed to respond.

I absolutely loved the kind of traveling you're talking about; I did it happily for decades. Sometimes I get the sense on this board, however, that that's the only "legitimate" way to travel. And that kind of attitude strikes me as sadly narrow-minded. My husband and I are simply at a point where the kind of thing you describe doesn't have appeal anymore-- we're tired (sometimes-- more than I wish!...) and not in perfect physical condition. Yet we still love being active as possible and seeing beautiful places. CR sounded great from my various readings and we've long wanted to visit that country. But we're not interested in the kind of travel experience that appeals to you (and that you impy is the "right" way to do things). We're scheduled for 11 nights in CR in January, and I'm very much looking froward to the adventure. I do hope, though, that it's a country where one doesn't have to "wing it" to enjoy its specialness.

In short, there is nothing wrong (IMHO) with enjoying comforts and other things of that nature. A country that only pleases "backpackers" would be a peculiar place indeed. People on this board have been incredibly gracious and helpful-- I'm very grateful for that. But I've not enjoyed a certain "attitude" that seems to predominate. ("My way" or you're a loser.)
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 02:41 PM

Poss, I think perhaps that when one is less familiar with a country, there is a tendency to want to seek some guarantees as much as possible. To some extent, we were the same way on our first visit. Like you, we enjoy a luxe place every now and then. But as our comfort level increased, it became easier to fly by the seat of our pants--something we now do (occasionally)with confidence and find it fun.

The cool thing about CR is that you can "do the country" in any fashion you wish! For those who want the plush experience, there are plenty of wonderful places to accomodate. For those who want to rough it, well, that option is available as well. And everything in between!

We do a bit of both. I'll bet Jessie does, too. In her defense, I really didn't read any "my way or nada" in there. I thought she was just reminiscing!

I have picked up on the attitude you are referring to at different times on this board, but generally it seems most are very tolerant of other's travel preferences.

How are you coming with your plans? It's getting close, isn't it? I am so anxious to see what you think of this little country! You have traveled so extensively! You must have some great memories, good photos, and funny stories!

Old Nov 5th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Poss- I know what you mean too. I remember when I was planning to book the transfer company and I needed to know travel times so that I could give them pick up times. I got a few responses that basically told me to relax and not worry about how long a trip might be. I had my reasons for asking without going into all the details or reading all the opinions.

But overall, I realize that sometimes the written word can be interpreted many ways, and I acknowledge those that have helped and ignore the others.

I didn't feel this way on this thread though. It sounded like Jessie was sharing some memories.

Anyway, I hope that you enjoy your trip whatever you decide. I will address the construction issue at PL, which is how this all started, as soon as I return and hopefully it won't be a issue.

Thanks to all that have helped in my planning.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 05:13 AM

I don't mean to imply that "winging" it is the only way to go. I have mentioned going on tours myself in CR and we get help with our arrangements on every trip by people down there. Call me lazy but I have had my share of problems and frustrations trying to get our trips set up every year and appreciate having people help with some of the arrangements. For us, during certain times of the year, we feel we really do want to have hotel reservations in hand for most of the trip when we arrive. It is so much easier for people down there to do it. At other times we enjoy the surprise of a new place not thoroughly picked over and analyed by us before we get there. Some work out and some don't but I think, as a teacher, you will appreciate that we always learn something from where ever we are. My mother in law is a former teacher and even into her late 70's and early 80's, almost crippled by arthritis, she was traveling to China and doing homestays in CR (taking public buses to unknown places), going to the flower shows in England, and taking classes at the local university. She earned her master gardener in her 80's. She has shown us in so many ways that learning never ends and to keep your options open.

On many many postings I have encouraged people to do what makes them comfortable because there are people who do make you feel like you have to do it yourself. I was merely trying to assure you and others that CR is the kind of place that you can go and relax and enjoy. To reasure you that even if things aren't perfect they can still be very good. Most people leave wanting to go back. Latin america as a whole is not the best place to go if you feel you need to travel with a drill sargeant-sorry wolfiesmom. Although not as bad as Mexico, CR does live at its own pace at times. You will even be lied to over and over because the Costa Ricans want you to be happy and to hear what you want to hear. Even up at Peace Lodge on our visit last winter we were lied to. They didn't want us to feel bad about something that we wanted to do but that they couldn't arrange at the time.

I guess I am too flowery at times but I physically feel the Pura Vida when I look down from the airplane window and see CR for the first time every trip. Costa Rica is full of wonderful surprises. Nature never sits still down there. Even the surfers never see the same wave over and over. Just leave yourself open to discovery and don't have tunnel vision due to overplanning.

Old Nov 6th, 2004, 06:59 AM

Jessie, I don't think I will ever get over the feeling of "coming home again" every time we fly into Costa Rica. And likewise, the sadness that settles on me every time we leave. Even though life is good here in the states! Go figure!

To be honest, Poss, your worries and concerns have the rest of us a little concerned! We all want so much for the two of you to enjoy yourselves!

I don't think any of us mean to be too "flowery" either. Last week, I got ripped off at a gas station for $10--because I went to the restroom and didn't watch. I knew better. We've all had those kinds of discouraging experiences, some more than others, huh Glover? But overall, the good overwhelmingly outweighs the bad! I hope this will be the case for you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -