Panama, Bocas del Toro & Boquete Travels of 1 month

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We began the 30 day stay in Panama Mar 1, 2011. American Airline International travel allowed us to check in 2 luggage per person with no charge. WOW. We had 1 each plus small carry on. We packed for 2 Adults 50ish. As a female, I packed for 1 week and a few extras. Think about it. You go to your favorite few items at home. I have 7 pair shorts, 2 pants (1 denim,1 tan)9 shirts all short sleeve except 1 oxford shirt, 7 sets under garments, 3 swim suits, 3 shoes: Teva sandal, dress sandal low heel and tennis shoes & 1 little black dress. Husband left with 6 shorts, 2 swim trunks, 7 short sleeve shirts included 2 button up, 2 pants (1 denim 1 black), 7 underwear. We both color coordinated the shirts to wear with multiple bottoms. It has worked well so far. No private washer, however it has not been hard to wash 1 load twice per week at common area. Panama City is warm (90), however locals take pride in appearance. I felt under dressed even walking downtown in shorts. Ladies wear jeans, slacks, dresses all day. Same with men. No shorts. I'm sure this is plenty on the subject of clothes. I've used the Teva sandals the most. Comfort from day 1. They hike, bike and dine with a dress or pant very well. Next blog will not be so boring. Thanks for reading, Ronga
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

We stayed in Panama City, Financial District, which is located next to Marriott Hotel. It's a privately owned 2 br 2 ba condo on 6th floor. It is $110.00 per night for 3 persons. Small kitchen, wifi, taxis run the street just below. It was clean. Our needs were attended to quickly. Sabrina manages several units in this building. She was great with details at arrival and follow up questions by phone. This condo provides you a cell & land line phone. You need to purchase a card with minutes for the cell. They can be purchased in most stores. My only concern is the elevator only, no stairs to our floor so worried a bit about fire. Chances are slim and we made a plan of Headboard and climbing down bedding if necessary. It is not a regulated area so can't have all safety I'm used to in America. Streets felt very safe at night walking and by taxi. Airport pickup is arranged for you. Taxi driver "Chewey" is very friendly and gives you private, affordable tours of nearby areas. Book tour directly from Chewey to save money on the condo owner getting a fee. The condo owner has more than 1 unit. Again, it was a lot less than hotels in area, clean, nice furniture, good comfortable bed, TV every room, clean tile showers, minimal dishes for cooking up a breakfast or snack. I'd stay again. Here's a link to the condo http://www.vrbo.com/254085. Thanks for reading. The great food is coming next.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looking forward to more of your trip report!!
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 09:24 PM

The condo looks like a good option for Panama City. Enjoying your report.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

We found some great local food at Costa Azul. It is inexpensive ($3.50 - $12) located downtown on Calle Ricardo Arias. It is filled with locals plus has a large patio which is great for people watching. We didn't find any better local food. For a nice lunch adventure ask any taxi to take you to the Japanese Fish Market. It is literally a fresh seafood market on bottom floor and serves lunch upstairs. We had fried whole fish & plantains. It was very good and priced under $10. Just the experience was worth the trip. $4.00 taxi fare. Now at night we enjoyed Manolo's not for food for more people watching in El Cangrejo. It is an easy, safe walk from the condo. Lots of locals. Argentine food at Gauchos has great steaks. And last one I'll mention is La Posta has a European flair and menu changes constantly.

We are going back for 2 night soon. Does anyone have a "must-have" place to eat? I'd love to try it?
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have idea of good place to eat in Panama City? Staying in Financial District? Thanks
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 11:33 AM

So where are you now? What are your other destinations?
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 07:26 PM

Sorry I am just now reading this forum. One question, did you happen to go whitewater rafting in Boquete? I found this company online and was wondering if you could recommend?

http://boquetesafari.com/popular-tou...ewater-rafting