Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Packing for CR tonight and I've got some questions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, I can't believe I actually pulled this trip off. Exactly one month ago, I got the great idea to go to CR for Christmas and it all came together. We're so excited! We're driving to San Antonio tomorrow to meet my family and then we all fly out Monday morning- yipee!
We're spending our entire time in Manuel Antonio, with the exception of our first day where we are going to La Paz waterfalls and Volcan Poas. I've checked weather.com and it is showing 60% of thunderstorms for SJO our entire time there. I so hope those storms do not make it to MA. Thoughts on that?
We're staying in two hotels in MA- Si Como No and Makanda. And we plan to do all sorts of activities while we are there.
Packing list- tevas, "athletic" wear, swim suits, "cute going-out-to-dinner outfits", sandals, deet, clothes that will dry quickly, $50 in ones for tipping... What else needs to be on my list? Do I need to take "running shoes?" (or does anyone have a link that will take me to a CR packing list- I know this question has been asked many times)
I understand that US dollars are widely excepted- do we need to exchange any money at all, and if so, where would you do that?
I have booked private transfer and flights from MA to SJO through vacationcity.com. The agent I have been working with just told me to bring my itinerary with me to board our Sansa and Nature Air flights- sound about right? "Ticketless travel..."
We plan on booking all activities once we arrive in MA- good idea or bad?
Lastly, what are your favorite places to eat and grab a drink in MA?

Mucho Gracias to you all!! I will be sure to post a very detailed review once we return!
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 08:10 AM

lightweight poncho or rain jacket - I have a jacket that packs into itself forming a little pouch - if that makes sense! Even the little disposable ones at WalMart, just something that is easily packable & lightweight.

Binoculars
Extra film or batteries and charger
Disposable underwater camera - if you are thinking of doing watersports
Sarong or buy one there, great for skirt, beach blanket, beach wrap, lots of uses
Flip Flops
Hat or cap
Small day pack or backpack
Benadryl - this was the first year I needed it and the only time I have traveled without it.
Ziplock bags - just a few for your wet clothing at the end of your trip. Or to pack things in for a daytrip.
Cheap Wash Cloths - I know - strange. But I have found these to be hit and miss.
Bring your guidebook - even though you have read it cover to cover.
Spanish Phrasebook if you have it.
Email copies of correspondences with your hotel, etc.

AND don't forget your passport and tickets!!!! LOL!

Remember - think casual - very casual and pack light.

Yes, we have flown both Sansa and Nature Air paperless with no problems.

We hardly ever change any money in CR, other than what we get back from change or maybe a hundred dollars. The areas you are traveling, you will be fine with US dollars.

Exhange rate - print a copy of a currency converter online. I find this very helpful for quick reference. I know the exchange is simple, but sometimes I just don't want to think!

Well that is all I can think of at the moment.

Have FUN!!!!!

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 09:15 AM

My packing list is #15 on the FAQ thread of the Thorntree Forum:

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ca...mp;STARTPAGE=1

I don't have time to compare your list to mine but maybe there's something on there you haven't thought of.

Have a blast! Happy holidays!
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 09:16 AM

For sunset drinks and dinner try Pacific Sunset Cafe next to La Mariposa Hotel. After dinner play a game of pool on the ground level. Deffinately a different experience than dinner at Si Como No! Frederic is a great cook and the vibe is so---funky
Have a great trip and remember to praise God for those awesome sunsets!
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 02:59 PM

Have a fabulous time!