Our one day in Santiago

Jun 10th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Our one day in Santiago

We will be arriving in Santiago from a cruise and will have the next day to tour. Will I be able to go to San Christobal Hill and the old town in one day? I am thinking that we will stay at the Sheraton because it is close to everything.

Is there anything else we should visit in our day. Our flight leaves at 10:40 p.m. to Atlanta.

We have had to cut our time in Santiago because of work schedules.

Thanks for any help.
Jun 12th, 2008, 04:44 AM

A taxi will take you to the top of SC Hill. The old town is easy to walk around. A few museums and an art gallery. There is a transport museum and another art gallery several minutes away in a taxi. I liked Valparaiso (a coastal city which is easy to walk around though there is lots of it) which is an hour away by bus, from the bus station. Take a ride out of town on the subway to the Mall at the end of the line.
Jun 12th, 2008, 05:14 AM

We stayed at the Cristobal Tower last November which is attached to the Sheraton. The cable car to the top of San Cristobal is a short walk from there. We took the cable car to the top (got off at the mid point to see the gardens) and reboarded to go to the top. Then we took the tram down the other side of the hill which brought us to walking distance of the old town - at least closer if you don't like to walk a bit or you could taxi from there.
Although the metro stop is not too close to the Sheraton we found the metro system easy to use and took it from the area of town across the river from the hotel. Check with the hotel on opening times for the cable car. I recall that it did not open too early - maybe 10 am? I'm not sure when you are going but the Sheraton pool was a welcome sight on hot afternoons when we were tired of walking in the city. Enjoy your time.
Oct 5th, 2008, 05:40 PM

If you really want a Very Personal, Private, Leisurely, Flexible Tour/Transfer Service you could contact to
Hectortourservice(a) gmail . com
He is good!!!

Cheer!!!
Oct 5th, 2008, 05:58 PM

I just answered the posting 20 minutes ago titled

"What to do in Chile."

scroll down and read it

Yes you will be able to visit San Cristobal Hill and the "Old Town" .

Percy
Oct 6th, 2008, 05:32 AM

I am not sure what is meant by the 'old town'. The Bellavista area is next to the San Cristobal hill but, aside from Pablo Neruda's house 'La Chascona' does not contain museums etc. It is a nice area to walk around and find a bite to eat however. The area of museums and the government buildings is on the other side of the river. A short taxi or metro ride would take you to wherever you want to go.