Search

OSA experts.. help!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OSA experts.. help!

We want to return to C.R. next January.. it is 25 degrees here and so I am planning my trip now as a means of coping with this winter! We have been to Costa Rica. We will return to a place in Guanacaste for a week(Junquillal). But we thought three nights in OSA first. Do we go to Bosque Del Cabo.. or the Iquana Lodge?? what is the best OSA experience if you only have three nights????? thanks!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:17 AM

Well many of us are very partial to BdC, as it's such a great experience with all the trails, the cabins on the cliff etc. I gues sit depends on how much hiking you want to do (BdC gets the edge) vs. beach time (Iguana would get the edge). If you could spare a little more time though, I would do a few nights at Bosque then 2 nights at Iguana, best of both!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:20 AM

I would say BdC is very difficult to beat unless you really want easy beach access; BdC has gorgeous ocean views, but to get to the beach, you have to hike. The wildlife and hiking there are amazing.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:31 AM

We just returned from CR including 4 nights at BdC and it was certainly spectacular. The one thing I would consider is if beach time is important to you. It definitely takes "work" to get to a beach from BdC. We did both the Pacific and the Gulfo Dulce hikes but if we hadn't already had two days of beach time in Malpais, I think my son would have been disappointed.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you that helps! We will have much beach time in Junquillal... Perhaps we will do BDC... I was concerned because the price is a bit higher.. so it is worth the cost? Everyone has been there recently?
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 01:19 PM

We were there last week and, yup, there's no denying that it's expensive. We're a family of 3 and we stayed in a deluxe cabina for 4 nights. It worked out to $500 a night for accommodations, food and tranfers to/from Puerto Jiminez. Our extras -- two on-property guided hikes plus a half-day fishing trip out of Puerto Jiminez -- cost us another $600. For us, this was a big splurge but we really loved the experience.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sumi! I don't mind spending the money if it is worth it! It sounds lovely.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 02:01 PM

We were there this past July and definitely thought it was worth it.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 03:02 PM

It's worth it. Aside from the accomodation, the food, the property, all the things savvy travelers look at when we ask the "worth it?" question, there is simply the sense that one is experiencing something unique and special in the world--and for most of us, something quite new and different. I think you have to figure that "sensation" into the value of the resort.

Our first time there was for 3 nights. We had a lovely time. More would have been nice, but we did almost everything there is to do in 3 days. We've never stayed for more than 4 nights (the cost adds up SO fast), but are planning a 5 night stay in July.

With your days at Junquillal, you won't miss being right on the beach for a few days. When you are down on the beach, you aren't privvy to those fabulous views from up above!

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 03:05 PM

mman -- Definitely a splurge for me as well, but a well worthwhile one for sure. I took my 10 year old last year for 5 nights and had the benefit of child rates for her. Now she's 11 and her last year at child rates, so it's an excuse for our return trip in April.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:21 PM

Worth every single colone - or dollar! As shillmac put it, there is something about the place that you cannot measure in money. If beach time is not a huge factor for you, then I would definitely say Bosque. I always take the Golfo Dulce trail down to the beach to get in a couple hours but that's plenty for me.

hvc - I reckon you'll be departing about 2 weeks before we get there? Save some puma sightings for me!
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Puma sightings!!!!! I am there! Thanks so much for all the input. We have decided that we need to stay in the rain forest.. we will have plenty of beach later in the trip. Is there a preference... Nature Air or Sanssa for getting there? Maggie
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Puma sightings are incredibly rare - hope you get to see one though. Usually they see you long before you see them. We flew Sansa, and it was fine. Be prepared to tell them how much you weigh; our friends who flew NatureAir actually had to get on the scale - she was not happy - LOL. Also they both limit the baggage weight you can bring on. One of our guides told us that Sansa is single engine, and NA has double engine planes - did not matter to us, but may make some people more comfortable to have two. We liked Sansa because it's right next door to the SJO airport, so it's really convenient. NA is further away.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 01:41 PM

Sounds like rnman is already sold on BdC, but I'll add another endorsement just in case! There is a reason the place is so beloved by so many here! It ranks up among the very favorite places I've ever stayed on any trip to any destination.

I would be <i>so</i> envious, and yet sincerely delighted if any of you do luck out with a Puma sighting this year! I was also hoping for a Tapir in December, but no such luck. Sigh. Someday... Happily, there are usually monkeys (and other critters) aplenty!

Hey shillmac, tully, HVC and VG! I haven't been around much recently (had some personal stuff hitting the fan, but things are looking up...). I hope you are all well and happily anticipating upcoming travel adventures! Can't wait to read the trip reports!
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:09 PM

Hi, C! We just booked our July trip to Arenal, Peace Lodge, and a new one for us, Monteverde - now I get to join the countdown - yea! Hope your personal life gets back in order, so you can focus on important things - like trip planning!
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:42 PM

volcanogirl's right, Puma sightings are rare, there just happened to one, with a cub no less, shortly after our stay last year. So that's exciting! tully and I are going to go out in the middle of the night to see if we can find one. Hee!

cm -- Yes, very anxious to get going! We leave on the 22nd so the countdown is on. The usual frantic pace of last minute to do's, paying bills, WORK, etc. We'll be gone for 17 days so need to make sure everything's in check. This trip's breaking the bank so I'm looking at hostels for next trip. Hee!

vgirl -- Happy planning!

rnman -- We've only flown Sansa, but I think either one is fine.

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:51 PM

Thanks, hip! Where are you guys going this trip? I can't believe it's almost here. I remember you're going back to BdC, but are you also doing the Carib. side and MA?
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Hola cam! Saw you on my BA thread Hola to all!

hvc - what are your dates? I'd thought we didn't overlap (at least in CR) but maybe we do! I will be there 05/02 - 05/16 - almost in the under 50 days countdown!

rnman - yes they are rare but they do happen - just pure chance! There was an ocelot in the area as well recently. I've always flown Sansa myself and never had a problem, I do like them as they are right next to the int'l airport. However this next trip I am taking Nature Air, only as I got 'locos' rates on all of my flights - $60 r/t to PJ - wow! I think you've made a great decision - if you want to see wildlife Bosque certainly is the place.

vg - you'll of course have to tell all about Monteverde, still haven't made it there yet. I think shillmac was looking at July to CR too?

I still say fodors GTG at Bosque - I'm buying !
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 03:49 PM

hvc - I'm so confused obviously Are you going in March or April?
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 04:33 PM

tully, I'll give you the full scoop when we get back. I think we missed Shillmac by one day at BdC last year in July - would have been fun to meet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -